Tongue tied (literally)

My son's tongue is tied he has no speech problems..does it NEED to be cut or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Health

• no. my son was severly tounge tied and had it cut at two and a half, in that case big mistake they should have done it sooner, because he had huge speech issues because of it and is just overcomming them at four. (the plastic surgon and ent who did the surgery said it was one of the worst they have done) but had he not had any speech issues i wouldnt have done it (he ate fine) some kids it effects in the breast feeding or bottle feeding area or drooling and then speech. if you dont think it needs to be done dont do it.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 8:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• This is an issue that should be addressed by a dentist/orthodontist and a doctor. My son seemed to have no issues: breastfed for 11 months, speech developed normally. We had NO idea it was a problem until he was 8 and his permanent teeth began coming in. Our dentist pointed out that because of the tongue tie our son used his tongue differently to chew his food and form sounds and it was causing his teeth to grow in misaligned. We also consulted an orthodontist and then a doctor for the problem. It was relatively easy to fix (surgery was 15 minutes long) and he recovered very quickly and had to wear something in his mouth to unconsciously "teach" him to use his tongue correctly when speaking and eating. Because his adult teeth were already coming in we also had to put him in braces for 8 months to correct the misalignment that had already started.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ideally, it is best to clip a tied tongue as soon as it is diagnosed. Why? To avoid the child learning things in an unnatural way that will have to be retaught. Some are so bad they cannot nurse due to it. Others compensate for it and the tongue becomes poorly developed while eating and later in speech. My sister has 2 that were clipped at just a few weeks old and what a difference it has made.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It's completely up to you. My son was tongue tied. He had it clipped in August. He had just turned 2. I wish we had done it sooner. It's a simple procedure. Hope this helps! Message me if you have any questions.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 10:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009