Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help needed for a friend of mine....

My friend had to take her great niece away from her niece this past weekend. The little girl is 4 years old, and there are signs of emotional abuse and neglect. However, there are no clear signs of physical abuse. CPS will not get involved.

The child is reclusive and will is reluctant to speak to adults. She will not move until told she can move. She will not ask for a drink, food, to play, or anything. If she wants something, all she will do is stick her finger in her mouth and stare. If you hold your hand up, she runs. There is evidence of lack of medical care and dental care. There are no records of any vaccinations from the mother or the father. The mother (niece) does not have her birth certificate or social security number.
She is at a loss on how to deal with her behavioral issues. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • She needs to go to the HEAD person at the CPS office and have them meet this little girl there is problems and they need to do something about it, IT'S there JOB.

    Answer by raemommy at 8:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • I agree with raemommy. Seeing a child therapist wouldn't hurt the poor girl either.

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • OP here - She tried going to the head of CPS, and was told unless there was physical evidence, there was nothing she could do for her. CPS sucks in this area.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • Go to a child therapist - ask to get a report listing what they suspect, etc.
    Go to the doctor and dentist and get the same thing done for neglect.

    Then ask the police what is another alternative besides CPS. Get a consult from a lawyer on what her options could be, what she has to do to prove it, etc.

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 9:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • Plenty of love and attention with lots of prayers for her! Sit down and tell her that you are different and that you love her and want her to talk and tell you what she wants and needs. Tell her she doesn't have to be scared of you and that you will keep her safe from anything that will hurt her. Keep telling her this and she will eventually believe it and break out of her shell, hopefully. Oh how awful! Poor little angel. I want a daughter SO bad and I have 3 boys and one boy on the way and people like that make me so sick! I can't even seem to get pregnant with a girl and this woman treats her less than an animal. For those of us who can't have girls or can't have children PERIOD is such a awful thing to be hearing these things. I hope she is charged with child abuse and neglect. She doesn't deserve to lick the dog poop off the bottom of that little angels shoes. What a piece of crap mother.

    Answer by environmentalpa at 9:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

  • There was just a case of a six year old boy being beaten and put to bed and he never woke up..... the authorities were alerted a year before that there were abuse problems and obviously did nothing ( they said that there were no physical signs of abuse) maybe bring up cases like this when dealing with people from CPS and definitely ask to speak to someone in charge. Don't let this go and don't give up! I know it may be tough but since you know what is going on you owe it to this little girl to give her a chance at a normal life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.