Single moms with 3+ kids...

Do you work? If so, are your kids still babies/toddlers/young or are they older? Did you have some type of college degree or did you have to accept an entry level position somewhere? I'm asking because I'm about to be in that boat. My kids are 3 and 1 and I have another due in Jan, and things did not work in my marriage. I have already applied for assistance since after the divorce is final we won't have healthcare, and I know I can get child support as well, but at some point I want to go back to work. All I have is my high school diploma and a few years experience in the workforce, so am I just going to have to flip burgers until I can go back to school? Will I even be able to afford daycare on that type of wage? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Stay at home moms have lots of great experience that many employers value: time management, budgeting, logistics, etc. Chances are, you also have done some volunteering.

Send me a message offlist if you would like me to review your resume or cover letter; I can also help you structure your job search.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents

This is what I do from home, and my kids are not in school. I do homeschool them, but they aren't really old enough to be in school yet. I did not go to college. But, if you're wanting to get some higher education that will help with getting a job...U.S. Career Institute is a great at home school that is very inexpensive, and well worth the time. I've actually completed 2 courses (all from home) with this school. I very much enjoy selling Scentsy...and it makes great money. If I can help with more detail or questions...let me know.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 8:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have a list of work at home jobs that you might want to look at. I make more than I would at a retail job but it's not going to make you rich either. Earn Money Online

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My kids were 4, 5, and 8 when I left my ex. They were with their dad on the weekends, so I waited tables at a restaurant Fri night, all day Saturday and Sunday morning/lunch. During this time I went back to school and got my degree in pharmaceuticals. When I graduated, the restaurant I had been working for offered me a manager position, which paid as much as a starting job in pharmas. I was a manager at the restaurant until I remarried and got pregnant with my youngest son.
    Restaurants are great places to work with flexible schedules. Between the time that I graduated from school and before I managed, when I waited tables at night I was only gone for like 2 hours of my kids "awake time." I paid a highschooler to watch them when I worked at night, so it wasn't as expensive as a daycare.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I actually have a degree ( with a high gpa, honor society stuff and everything) but when looking for a job I found that work experience is much more valuable. If you are a hard worker you will be fine. Good luck and I wish your the best!
    ColoradoMom25

Answer by ColoradoMom25 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Anonymous

• I'm in the same boat but lucky I found this AWESOME team about a year ago before my marriage went south. I have 3 children 5, 3, and 18 months. The team and company I work for has given me the strength to make it. I work from home, making my own hours and I love doing what I do. I would love to share it with you. All I need is 30 minutes of your time and you can decide if this is something for you. I know you will be glad your hear this information, I know I was. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Amanzi

Answer by Amanzi at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009