Raiders Get a Penalty for Thanking God

Is it wrong to praise God in a game?

What about Oksana Baiul who crossed herself before a performance. Was that wrong?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Raiders-Get-a-Penalty-for-Thanking-God-63539342.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• These Oakland Raiders have it pretty tough with the NFL referees. They get unsportsmanlike conduct penalties even when they behave like choirboys.

Raiders' cornerback Chris Johnson found that out the hard way after making a great play in yesterday's 29-6 Raider loss to the Texans.

With just 51 seconds left in the first half, the Texans were on the verge of scoring another touchdown before halftime. In footage still available online, Johnson made a fantastic leaping interception to rob Houston's Andre Johnson of the score.

After hauling in the throw, the Raiders' Johnson dropped to his knees and raised his hands to the heavens in a brief and innocuous display of his religious faith. It was one the most humble, classy and decent end zone celebrations you'll ever see.
    Anonymous

• The officials didn't like it one bit. They whistled Johnson for excessive celebration and a 15-yard penalty.

To clarify, Johnson did not wave his buttocks toward the crowd. He did not stomp on the other team's logo, he did not pull a magic marker out of his sock, and he did not attempt to get busy with a cheerleader. And he didn't even come close to tweeting anything.

But he dropped to his knees in a motion resembling prayer, and got nailed with a 15-yard penalty. "I'm just getting on my knees giving my respect to God," Johnson told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I don't see how that's a personal foul or anything like that."

Evidently, the NFL isn't just the "No Fun League." It's also the "No Faith League."

Joe Kukura is a freelance writer who is absolutely, positively filing this one into his "Raider conspiracy theories" dossier.

Anonymous

• isn't the "celebrating" rule in part due to the time consumed from the game? how's it worded?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I don't know if it is or isn't about time-but I do know if you watch the clip he was kneeling as the ref was doing the call on the interception so it didn't take from the game. In fact, the game wasn't even delayed. I know I have seen longer displays that are much more noticeable.
    Anonymous

• i read about this earlier. apparently the "excessive celebrations" rule says going on one knee is okay, but falling to 2 knees is punishable.

the problem with this isnt that he was thanking God, the problem is with the rule. it is inconsistently worded & is inconsistently called. i kinda tend to believe it was a personal thing against the Raiders.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• okmanders, if I got this correct, a player could yell out the Lords Prayer or a Hail Mary as long as he isn't on both knees?

I am not much of a sports fan therefore I am naive in this area. Right now I agree with you it is inconsistent and maybe personal.
    Anonymous

• "if I got this correct, a player could yell out the Lords Prayer or a Hail Mary as long as he isn't on both knees?"

according to the article i read, yep. so long as he's not on both knees or using the ball as a prop. a lot of players cross themselves, point up to Heaven, and/or pray...they got this guy on a technicality...and they werent even winning!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• so sad.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Thats ridiculous.. Boy I cant wait till Tim Tebow plays NFL and puts Scriptures On his Face and Prays with his team.. They have no idea. Freedom of Religion.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I honestly do not think it was a religious thing.
    It realyl does sound like a screwed up technicality.

LOL, i am from Denver, so definately have no love for the Raiders. However, a personal predjudice, not cool.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 11:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2009