My 16 month old keeps trying to do somersaults. Is this safe?

It looks like he's gonna hurt himself. My husband keeps stopping fearing he might snap his neck or something, but he just tries again. Is this normal and safe? Is it okay to let him try?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep a close eye on him. I remember my DD doing the same when she was about that age. I dont think she actuallly ever was able to do it but she tried lol. Maybe sit on the floor and help him do some. Like hold him and put him through the movements of it. If hes curious on how to do it he will just keep trying why not show him the right way :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It is safe as long as he isn't trying to dive off the couch or something while doing it. Get down on the floor and help him do it. Have him tuck his chin down on his chest, have him bend over and then gently pull his feet over.

I think it's great he is trying things like this. Maybe he will be an Olympic gymnast some day.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:11 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son did the same exact thing!! He wanted to just do them all the time but at the time he was only like 11 months old. He was fine. I kept an eye on him.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Sounds fine to me. Usually when children try to do things on their own, they are ready to do them.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• he should be fine - just watch him carefully.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Mine has been doing that since he was about 14 months old. He only rarely manages to actually roll himself over but he sure gets a kick out of trying. ONCE, he tried it on the couch and got thoroughly scolded and has never tried that one again. It's actually an important part of their physical development though a lot of kids won't actually do a full sommersault until they're closer to pre school age.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Ever since my daughter could walk at 11 months, she's been doing the 'ostrich pose' (that's what I called it, head and feet on the floor, butt in the air). 17 months she started somersaulting everywhere and would do it if we told her to 'flip!'

Unless your son's got a fragile neck, just keep an eye on him, he'll be fine. If he's a bruiser (falls down, gets up and laughs instead of runs to you crying) definitely no issue. And definitely watch around couches. Of course, mine enjoys doing commando rolls off ours. *sighs*
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2009