How many unfilled cabinet positions are there currently in the Obama Administration?

It seems that you would want to work at finding people to fill the cabinet positions before you start filling czar positions. Why is he putting questionable characters in czar positions, yet leaving unfilled positions in his own cabinet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Does it matter??

Although Obama confers daily with his private Cabinet of "czars", I heard last week that he had only met once with his broad-daylight, official, out-in-the-open, minutes-get-recorded & Congress-gets-reported-to Cabinet.

His first official Cabinet meeting was convened April 20th - a complete FOUR months into his Presidency. And with the lightning speed of new legislation being introduced, and executive orders being signed, and new policies getting imposed - was there really NOTHING he wanted their advice about?

So, does he consider himself so much of an expert on EVERYTHING that he wants no information from the heads of those departments about what's really going on?

Or did he appoint those people just for show, and he actually dislikes them and their ideas?

Or does he want to keep all his planning secret from Congress (which means us citizens, too) - and so he only consults with his private "czars?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Because Czars do not have to go through the vetting process. Unlike Cabinet members--who, if recommended by Obama--would fail to pass! The Czars are his close friends/acquaintances and whom share like minded ideologies with him--that is what is scary--the people he CHOOSES to surround himself with.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• P&M
    Anonymous

• I get that LoriKeet, I just wonder if it's easier for him to publicly pay back his supporters by putting them in gratuitous positions for which they are not qualified, only to let it back fire on him? or would it be easier to find someone that might actually have a chance to do some positive work in government that would also pass the muster of the vetting process (perhaps this is the part where it gets tricky)? I mean, he knows people are watching him constantly and with a microscope. His Teflon suit is wearing thin and when it all wears away he will only be left with the thin skin that he has. I would think letting Congress take the heat for approving someone that turns up as questionable would be the more Teflon Protective way to go.

Anonymous

• What is P&M?
    Anonymous

• Aren't there people close enough to Obama to give him a heads on the possibility that his choices aren't that sound?
    Anonymous

• I believe all Cabinet positions have been filled. http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/cabinet/

As far as the Czar stuff, maybe you should read an unbiased source so you know what (and who) the Czars are, and who calls them that.  Here is a list of them.  http://www.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/Czars.pdf  Check out the article, it is very informative.http://factcheck.org/2009/09/czar-search/

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I really think all of his "advisors" or handlers live in a vacuum--they don't get that all it takes is a Google search adn a trip to Barnes and Noble to see read of the questionable pasts of his Czars--like John Holdren and Van Jones, among many others!

I think Obama has been told how wonderful he is by people who ONLY sing his praises and protect him from reality, that he actually believes his s*it don't stink! LOL

I mean, just think....Michelle has 26 (TWENTY SIX) staffers to help her get dressed, and look at all of the inappropriate attire she has been caught wearing! LOL So, you can just imagine how it is even more of a case of Amateur Hour with Obama's staffers--especially his spokeman, Gibbs--talk about a whiny, incompetent, argumentative person you DON'T want speaking on your behalf!!!! Pathetic--in a comical sort of way! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Where did the budget come from to pay these people? Seriously, I want to know. Why does michelle need a staff? We are effing broke. I read last night that the average "advisor" makes 172k. There are what, 32 of them! Seriously! What is that in millions? Off the top of my head, 4 or 5? So what effing idiot on the hill said it was ok to pay that much money out? Our money! To people we have no say about! Wtf!!! We can't vote them out If we don't like them or what they do, but we have to pay them! And it's such an obscene amount! I mean, Obama challenged the depts at the beginning of his presidency to cut down a million dollars... Well?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Department Urban affairs
    Department of Culture
    Department of Global Development

But I am not sure if those have been approved departments yet. The department of Culture was suggested by Quincy Jones.

I know Obama likes back hand ways and if that means having another person "qualified" for a cabinet position, that can do the exact same job, can get their hands into policy, all with out having to answer to ANYONE but Obama. Just to "give pooky a job", "redistribute the wealth", all while fundamentally changing America to only God knows what? They hit the jack pot!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2009