My daughters head is dented on one side because she only sleeps to the right. We've tried moving it to the left but she always moves it back. I'm scared this will be permanent. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go to a baby store ie..baby's r us. and buy this thing that is a wedge. I used it with my son. it contours the front and the back of the baby but keeps them from rolling over. we had the problem with my son laying on his back and chocking in his sleep and since your not suppose to put them on their bellies this was a great alternative.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• i agree w/ northcarolinama. u need a wedge thing.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Had the same problem with my oldest and with my youngest. Sometimes when they are in the womb they don't have much room to move there head so they keep there head in one position and there muscles become stiff, so when they are born they turn there head to one side and whatever you do don't work they will still twist there head to the side they want to sleep on, I just went through this with my 11 month old he will have to wear a helmet to get his head straighten out, my 4 year old had to wear one to.
    I would talk to your pedi about it, best time for them to put the helmet on is 6 months cuz they don't have to wear it that long, the older they get the longer they have to wear it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my son also would just face the same way no matter what we did. his head got kind of flat too. i was worried about it. some kids end up wearing helmets because of this. eventually my son's head flattened out. hopefully your pediatrician will know if it is serious enough to refer you to a specialist (helmet people). but most likely it will correct itself with time. :)
    Anonymous

• How old is your baby? Mine did the same thing - only slept on one side. No matter how many times we tried to reposition him. We ended up going to an orthotist to get a helmet. My doc referred us at around 6 months, but it took 4 weeks to get him in to see the specialist and another 2 weeks to get the helmet, so he was nearly 8 months old. Basically it needs to be done before a year because that is when their skull starts to fuse together. Thankfully my son's rounded out nicely and he was able to have it off for his birthday!! He wore that thing 23 hours a day/7 days a week!! Check with your pedi.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009