Do you consider Hoodoo to be "bad" or against God?

Wondering...Most wicca-pagan, catholiciscm and even christianity have hidden traditions of Hoodoo. I wont get into all of the details(you will have to check out my future journals for that, LoL), but Im just curious if you consider it to be a negative practice? If so what religion are you?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 9:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't consider any practice bad unless it is used in a bad way. i was raised christian & i believe in GOD but do not practice organized religion.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Okay, what is the difference between Hoodoo and Voodoo? Is there a difference? Maybe I should google it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• As a Pagan, I see nothing wrong with Hoodoo...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Kristi -

Hoodoo is associated with Vodoun, but is usually considered to be magic practiced by slaves from the Protestant England islands and IS seperate from the Vodoun religion. Where Vodoun is more religion based - Hoodoo is more of the magical practices than it is a religion... Many people see Hoodoo as the magic practiced in by the modern day practitioners of the Vodoun religion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The difference between Voodoo and Hoodoo: (there are many and the two get confused very often) Voodoo - is a religion. It uses deities and celebrations, and more. Hoodoo - is a combined practice of holistic medicine and spiritual rituals. Its usually found being practiced in advocate to some religious faith.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I think it is evil just as voodoo is
    Anonymous

• Anon - For anyone that understands Voodoo (as you obviously don't) it's not at all an evil religion or practice. Fear and Hollywood have turned Voodoo in to an evil and devilish practice and make the practitioners look like crazy people that want everyone to be miserable. That is FAR from the truth. Voodoo is in reality African Paganism mixed with American Christianity. Voodoo (more properly called Vodoun) originated in Africa over 1000 years ago. As the Spanish and English brought people from Africa over here to be used as slaves these people brought thier beliefs with them. And modern day Vodoun grew from the practices they brought and their responce to teh forced conversion to Christianity...

It's far from evil. Mostly its about conecting to what is around us. Their spirituality is a part of everyday life, unlike many faiths that are put aside til Sunday, practitioners of Vodoun incorporate their beliefs in daily life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Anon, you give Hollywood way too much credit. Hoodoo is NOT a evil practice.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Because it's something that is a part of their everyday life and it's not usually the norm, practitioners tend to stand out in a crowd. It makes them seem strange or weird or even evil to those that don't understand their beliefs. But there is nothing evil about them. They believe in Gods and honor their ancestors just as most religions do. Are there and have there been those that honestly give Vodoun it's bad name? Sure, but there are bad apples in every bushel.

OP - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take over, but comments like that drive me crazy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think it is evil....
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2009