What to do about heartburn???

Last night I started getting severe heartburn, chewed some Rolaids, it went away through the night. About an hour after I got up this morning BAM! Crazy bad off and on all day. Tried Rolaids, Tums and even busted out the Zantac! Typically I suffer from pretty bad GERD (acid reflux). I only get heartburn maybe once or twice a year and it goes away after chewing one Rolaids or Tums....this time it goes away for about an hour, then it hits me like a brick in my chest and back.

Anyone have any solutions? (BTW, I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding)

josie_mommyof2

Asked by josie_mommyof2 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Health

• you can capsule baking soda and take one capsule of it with water... or just a pinch of baking soda chased by some water (it tastes pretty nasty!)... but not too much or you'll be puking up foam! tahts the only thing that ever helped me when it got too bad and i took so many tums i got constipated... good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I would say talk to your Dr they should be able to provide you with some better meds for that. or ask a pharm when you go to the drug store maybe theres something better out there
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• call your dr. i used to have a prescription for acid reflux & heartburn but i cant remember the name of it. i only had it when i was pregnant.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• No coffee, no alcohol. no smoking. No acidic foods. Coffee is super acidic. So is Coke. You can control heart burn better by NOT putting things in your body than by taking meds.

Baking soda dissolved into water will neutralize the acid.

Eat at least 2 servings of dark green veggies every day. broccoli, kale, spinach, sprouts, etc This will make your body more alkaline and you will never have this problem again.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Papaya enzyme is the best!!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Try Prilosec. It's an over the counter med you take daily. I come from a family of acid reflux sufferers. I've taken Nexxium in the past and my pharmacist actually suggested I try the over the counter. It works just as well for me, and it's lots cheaper. My dad takes it, too (he actually takes the Costco store brand) and it works for him.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I always drink pickle juice. The baking soda is a good idea, a fmr coworker of mine did that everyday. A little under a tblspoon with 8 oz water and voila. There's also this thing I do that has hepled everybody I've ever told. I don't know how well I'lll be able to explain it in writing but I'll try. You know the space where your ribs meet right under you chest? the hollow feeling part? (it might be called the sturnum.) take you hand and press your fingers into it. your hand will be flat (like your shaking someone's hand.) Do tha for 30 secs or so,. The pumping breaks up all that acid in there, you'll feel it working.
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 10:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• best thing you can do is watch what you eat, dont eat anything that gives you heartburn lol i had horrible heartburn aswell and i found that nothing realy helped, the chewable rolaids are the best, cherry flavor, they dont taste like chalk and if all else fails have some milk, good luck, i kno its no fun ! take care hun
    SHANNASMOM2005

Answer by SHANNASMOM2005 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2009