help fleas

we are over run with fleas from a dog does anyone have any ideas as to how to get rid of them from both the dog and house

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• have a professinal spray inside & out & take the dog to the vet to get treated.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Have the Dog dipped, and bomb your house. You can get them at walmart, lowes, you will have to be away from home for a few hours but it works.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Okay, so we've dealt with fleas for years even spent TONS on exterminators! Kept coming back often and in full force! This is one little bugger I H-A-T-E!!!! Keep in mind we live in the country where all bugs are crazy bad. So, at the beginning of the year, I started researching online about fleas (oh yeah, I became obsessive! lol) I was wanting natural way to rid of them without chemicals, but, everything was mixed reviews. What I found was NYLAR and LINALOOL. These are ingredients found in the more effective flea pest control like those that are used by exterminators.
    Long story short. Buy a few canisters of the flea powder for carpets, check ingredients. From there, don't necessarily follow the directions! This is what I did: Sprinkled on areas (heavily) that no one walks on, sits on or touches. Like behind furniture, under furniture, etc. The can will say to sweep into carpet. DON'T DO THAT, it will cause you to gag
    josie_mommyof2

Answer by josie_mommyof2 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Take the broom and tap the top of the carpet where sprinkled.Vacuum a few times a day.And this is an important one...keep either a flea collar or some of the flea powder in the canister of your vacuum. Every time you dump it, put some more in there. Also keep in mind that the vacuum will cause fleas to emerge from the larvae , so vacuum over the area more than once and go slowly. Also obviously get your dog some Advantage or whatever it is, we just bathed our cat daily until we stopped seeing them on her.Then started using those drops from Walmart on her shoulders.I also wanted to point out that the Nylar is Insect Growth Regulator.And the Linalool is a botanically-derived insecticide.They kill ALL STAGES of a flea life cycle which is what you will want.I was determined NOT to be eaten alive this year and it has worked.
    josie_mommyof2

Answer by josie_mommyof2 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• The most important part of stopping the fleas is to treat the pet. Frontline Plus is the best we have found. It is expensive but it kills fleas on your pet in all of their life cycles. For your house, DO NOT bomb, the chemicals in those bombs are harmful to humans and pets. To treat carpets and other household surfaces, you can use Fleago, which is all-natural flea control. Check this website for the Fleago product

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Fleago-Natural-Flea-Control/126001.aspx
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Also, (sorry about this, I've just dealt with them for so long and researched researched researched) Bombs DO NOT work, they ONLY kill the adult stage of flea which is of no use. The flea eggs & larvae are typically in the bottom of the carpet....they cling to it as it's basically a nest.
    josie_mommyof2

Answer by josie_mommyof2 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• go to petland discounts or apet store and get this medicine that you put on the dog..you put it by there head and it runs down to there tail to keep the fleas off give your dog a bath before.then you have to bomb your house.if its as bad as you say 2 bombs per room.raid bombs are the best for that.also leave all your clothes out so that the bombs can spread 2 that too.you can also wash your clothes and put them into garbage bags, those vacumm bags work best, and keep everything in there after you wash them.trust me theyll be gone.RAID BOMBS.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If it is cooling off in the evenings where you live, bundle up the kids and open the windows over night (heat off). One year we had a horrible flea problem ALL summer I was doing the carpets, pets everything, spent probably a thousand dollars on flea stuff! Finally left the windows open a couple of cold nights and they were gone!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Dont try home remedies and dont fog! They dont work, we tried 4 times before we hired Orkin and they are finally gone. Orkin is guaranteed so if they are still there, they have to come back and continue spraying until they are gone.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I made a mixture or borax and salt and put it everywhere. between the mattresses, in the couch, on rugs, under rugs..... basicly move everything and put the powder everywhere. Then I vac'd it and used a spray I think it was ADAM'S brand it has Linalool and Nylar, after the vac. just spray it everywhere. It has a bad chemical smell and I had to wear a rag over my face while I was spraying so make sure the kids and pets are out if you use that.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2009