for those that are bilingual?

Im about to have my baby in a couple of months. I dont know to either speak to him in english,spanish or both??? I want him to be fluent in both. I was thinking about speaking to him in english and then saying the same thing in spanish. ORR any better ideas?

Kaidensmommy009

Asked by Kaidensmommy009 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• speak more spanish to him/her now and mix alittle english!! it helped me and now my kids are 2 and 3 speaking english and spanish........good luck princess
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I just mixed and matched.
    I'd say the same thing in English and in Korean and also in French.
    He's mixed in what he says. Sometimes he'll say it in one language, and the next, it's another.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my boys, the first two learned both Spanish and English at the same time , and a bit of Italian from their Grandma ...my 3rd ,I taught him  English only for the first 3years ,bcz of a speech delay(he was 6 weeks premature and he needed speech therapy  at 3 years old ), but now that he is 5 and is no longer behind on His speech , He is learning Spanish and he's doing great! ....not bragging in any way!!,- I'm fluent in English /Spanish /Portuguese,and a bit of Italian and French,and every little bit that I learn I want them to learn it as well... :)

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 10:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my daughter i spoke portuguese to and then english and she got it my son not going so well lol he dont speak nuthn beside mama an papai an no yes but hes 2 so the doctor is not worried yet try to mix it up speak english one day then spanish later!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I am multilingual and raise my children the same way, we speak papiamento and dutch in our home, my two year old understands both languages now and speaks in a mix of the languages. I have noticed with my son and my sisters boys that they do start to speak a bit later than average but that isnt a problem. They make up for it by being able to speak two languages at a young age!
    We plan to introduce English when they are about 4.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009