What's the easiest fruit or vegetable for a seriously NOVICE gardener to grow?

I'm thinking about starting a container garden in my apartment next year. I don't want to get into it unless I know exactly what it entails, though. So what are the best beginner crops to grow, in your opinion? Are there any that are pretty much foolproof, IE it's hard to mess them up? Are there any that aren't that expensive to manage? I'm on a really tight budget and I don't know the first thing about growing food : /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm pretty sure tomatoes are really easy, I use to grow them with my parents growing up and it seems like all you do it water them lol, and they just take care of themselves, and produce a LOT!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• tomatoes.! or cabbage
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If you're container gardening, look for a variety of tomato recommended for container or "patio" gardening. You'll need a big pot for it, but you can get a lot of benefit with just keeping up on watering. Herbs are a good choice for small pots; parsley, basil, chives, cilantro all grow well in pots.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Tomatoes are easy. Just squeeze some seeds into a 5 gal bucket of soil. Make sure to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. I have done potato plants. I'm going to try carrots and sweet potato this winter.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Make sure you have a south facing shot on your porch or patio for the containers. veggies and herbs need full sun to produce fruit. cherry tomatoes are excellent for containers. You can even look for those already planted in hanging baskets. They will grow down like vines. they will need to be fertilized every 2 weeks or so. buy a good all purpose fertilzer such as Pete's allpurpose. Curby cucumbers can be really good in containers if you plant them in their own tall pot. They will also grow like vines. Herbs are excellent in containers and can be planted together in the same put. to make the most out of cutting your herbs, trim the outter leaves of the parsley, trim the flowers from the basil and dill and don't over water the woody stemmed herbs like rosemary and thyme. These will also use plenty of fertilizer but are very easy to maintain. Another Great patio garden plants are lettuces and greens of all kinds.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• you can plant them over and over again once they get too big or start to bolt(flower). Just pull them out and replant. Get a good mesculun mix or asian mix and you will have salad all year! Okay last one..veggies such as peppers and eggplant can be great too because they will produce many many fruits per plant as long as they have plenty of nutrients and room to grow. These are best to buy all ready started as seedlings. (depending on your location). I grow a 15 acre organic garden every year so if you want anymore help or advice pm me anytime...hope it helps!!!
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Tomato tree
    any kind of herbs
    Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
    bush pickle cucumbers
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower are all good choices. Just get the biggest pots you can find. I use Miracle grow potting soil so I don't have to fertilize unless I'm going to be bringing them in for the winter and keep them going.
    Herbs are always a good choice. I'm going to do some of those since I have a deep window sill in the kitchen now.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 9:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Grow herbs. Then you can use them to season meats nad veggies, put the leaves in salads, flavor oils and/or vinegars, make the home smell wonderful. You can get an assortment of the commonly grown herb seeds such as basil, sage, parsley, oregano, etc at any grocery store, but it's easier to get the baby plants in small pots and transplant them into your own pots or garden.
    Rosemary is a wonderful aromatic plant that if kept indoors (away from cold and frost) will live for many years, slowly growing into a small bush if given the container room for it's roots and it tastes good in SO many foods. All herbs prefer well drained soil that is not too rch, so you don't have to mess with adding fertilizer and stuff--just be sure not to leave the pots sitting in saucers full of water. They don't need a south window, just one that gets sunshine daily.
    Good luck!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well, I have a black thumb. Plants just commit suicide when they see me coming. BUT. I found a great website - www.squarefootgardening.com. It's pretty much foolproof. No weeding, you can set this garden up in a rather small area (even on a table top!), and as long as you water it, you're pretty much guaranteed a good harvest. I'm starting on the journey in the spring. I just HATE buying veggies at the store. Blech. Good luck!

Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2009