Has anyone traveled an hour (or close to it) for your prenatal appointments and then birth? How did it go?

I am considering delivering at a hospital an hour away, and going there for my prenatal appointments too. There is a hospital 10 minutes from home BUT they aren't very mother\baby friendly, as in they push interventions that i consider to be bad for me and my future child :)

i'm wondering if i should just labor at home until i'm in transition and then go to the hospital here, or go to the hospital an hour away not long after i go into labor.

thanks for any (respectful) comments :) i would love to hear your good or bad experiences with traveling so far while in labor.

(i have also considered home birth btw but it's difficult in my state and would cost twice as much so i'm thinking hospital with midwives. i've done a lot of research...)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my midwfe appt's took 1hour and 20 mins away. my baby ended up being born at home regardless of what we planned because he came so fast.. you cant plan a labor! get care with someone you trust and are comfortable with. start planning and doing run throughs of route to hospital,try a couple of different routes .Goodluck!
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• storkMy dd went to a hospital an hour away and her prenatal visits were in that same town. It wasn't bad. There is a local hospital we could have gone to if there was an emergency but it all worked out well. We kept in contact with the Labor & Delivery dept when we knew labor was close.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• w/ both my pregnancys i traveled 45 min - 1 hr away for my hospital because they had the best staff. i was induced w/ both pregnancys because i was late w/ both. i guess my kids were too comfortable to want to come out on their own lol:) anyways conrats & goodluck. oh imo i loved having a midwife - they are more personal than dr's!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My only options when I was pregnant with my youngest were to go see a Spanish doctor and deliver in a Spanish hospital, or drive an hour and 15 minutes to the Navy base. We decided that communication was very very important, so we chose to go to the Navy base. But, being military, they paid for me to go stay in lodging on the base there for the month before my due date. Which was lucky, because I ended up having to be induced one week after I got there!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• uor doctor was an hour away, as was the hospital. it worked fine for us. i would have prefered something closer but thats where they happen to be.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 10:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• right now im seeing a doctor and the hosp im delivering at is like an hour away (maybe farther) we have a hosp in our town and its new with a L&D but they cannot find any docs or anything to fill it, so it stays closed...so we have to drive that far, it really sucks sometimes. but def worth it for my doc and hosp staff!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I went to prenatal appointments and for my labor and delivery 2 hours away (I was high risk and it was the closest "high risk" center). Besides the fact that my labor and delivery only took 5.5 hours total from first contraction to my son flying out--literally shooting out with a gush of my water (no such luck with DD-who was 14 hours), it was okay. I didn't like driving 4 hours round trip to wait for an hour before my appointments, but the staff was very nice and well worth the trip. I would much rather have the care I need/want, rather than save time for appointments :)
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I drove 40 minutes to my OB. My family doc was about 25, but I was high risk, so I wanted to see the OB specialist. The hospital was about an hour. THe worst was the drive while in labor. With 1st ds I kept telling him he better hurry (labor was going FAST) and he was already doing 70!! With 3rd child I went into labor 4 weeks early and it was SO foggy that he couldn't drive that fast. That was pretty scary! Just weigh the pros and cons. The local hospital is not known for its good patient care, not to mention they have no NICU. The hospital we delivered at has one of the best NICU's in the country, and I wanted to be there. Thankfully I was for the last one, because he had to stay.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I travel for mine 45min. The first was only 10min but this time we are living in a town where I dont like the doctors so I drive for my appts.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 11:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• For my 2nd and 3rd, the hospital was about 40 minutes away. With my daughter (2nd baby) it was a nightmare. She was quite literally about born in the car. My son (3rd baby) was much better though. We got there in PLENTY of time.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 2:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009