How can i put my 6week old son to sleep?

late at night 11:30pm he is wide awake. he eats, poops, burps, the usual. i want him to go to sleep after that, but he doesnt. he is really fussy. so i give him some gas drops. i rock him, he starts to fall asleep but as i even dare to lay him down in his bed he throws a fit. i give him his pacifier, he takes it but as soon as it slips out of his mouth, its WAAA!!!!!! and i have to jump up real quick and put it back in. its exausting. this has been happening for 3 days now. and i am really hopeing that it doesnt happen again tonight. any suggestions?

mommy.of.isaac

Asked by mommy.of.isaac at 10:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine does the same thing-- he's done that since he was about 2 weeks old. Some babies have internal clocks that are just backwards. I've been reassured by my pediatrician and other moms that eventually he'll grow out of it. But for now, my husband and I take shifts-- I take the late night shift since he seems to eat more then (I breastfeed), and my husband takes the early am shift.

I recommend keeping the light low and playing some soft music. Also, my son seems to get to sleep faster if I let him nurse for as long as he likes. He'll nurse without actually getting milk out--more for comfort than food-- and I let him until he falls asleep. Bad habit, maybe, but he seems to be happy.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Do you hold him all the time? Like as soon as he cries, you run over to him and pick him up?? Just curious b/c I babysit a baby that is 3 months old and his Grandma and Nanny pick him up everytime he makes a noise. So, in the end, anytime I try to lay him down, he SCREAMS at me until he can't catch his breath.
    I don't know what to suggest because my daughter is 4 months old and doesn't do that. I can't remember her ever doing that. Good Luck though.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• well not to be captin obvious but he is ONLY 6 weeks old! remeber that. its just part of being mommy..he wont sleep "well" for quite sometime. hes just adjusting to ebing out of you..so naturally sleeping in the 'wide open" is taking some geting use to. maybe try a swaddler?
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• thank you naturepeace. i needed to hear that.
    i think that after him being here and getting bigger so quickly has just slipped my mind that he is new to this world.
    i am going to try and swaddle him tonight. i just hope that he doesnt get out of it this time. his legs and arms fly everywhere! like right now, he is just kicking up a storm haha he is in a good mood. but he does it alot :)

thank you :)
    mommy.of.isaac

Answer by mommy.of.isaac at 10:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• you're welcome:) i hoped that my answer wasn't going to come off rude:) just remember hes very new to the world and hes used to sleeping soundly inside of you! good luck tonight!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• NOLA, if you aren't going to actually take care of the baby, why are you babysitting? You think you're letting him scream and it's helping him? Not if his usual caretakers aren't. Especially not a 3 month old. You're making the situation worse by giving that poor baby inconsistency. I hope they don't pay you.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Happiest Baby on the Block seems to be popular. For me, I held my little ones until they fell asleep, and I enjoyed it. Contrary to popular crappy belief, children actually don't have to scream in order to learn to fall asleep. Both of mine (2 and 1) sleep through the night, in their own beds, and have never cried alone in their beds.

Swaddling is great - I've seen so many moms swaddle, and the babies are just instantly happy. Some doctors actually tell you babies will sleep better on their sides. Not sure if that's true, and I'd check into it before just trying it. SIDS and whatnot. I slept with my kid's pajamas before they wore them.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• yes i have to agree with apexmommy about nola...it disturbed me when you said A 3 MONTH old cries until he CANT CATCH HIS BREATH!!?? what is that about? like the pp said i hope they dont pay you.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• He's still SO little so that sounds normal to me. Have you tried swaddeling him and rocking him? I know that worked for me. Good luck!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I suggest this a lot but it really does help. Take a recieving blanket and throw it in the dryer for a couple mins until it gets warm then swaddle him in it. It can calm a fussy baby. They do it in hospitals to calm babies, and we did it hear and it worked like a charm.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009