could my son be hyperactive?

my son is 17 months old. he doesnt seem to absorb information, or at least not all the time. sometimes he is talkative, mimics and answers questions (such as when I ask "what does the doggy say, and he barks..), but lately he has been quiet. I read to him all the time and when I ask "what is that" (a cow or something) and ask what it says, he doesnt say anything. it has me a little worried. he doesnt point or say bye bye or hi, everything is more like jibberish. he cant keep still and has a short attention span....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• He's 17 months old - he's not supposed to be able to sit still for long or have a very long attention span. As long as he is growing well and still gaining new skills or perfecting old ones, he's fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You could talk to his doctor about it-but at that age its kind of hard to diagnois hyperactivity and what not. Maybe its just a phase hes going through,but if it has you worried the best bet would be to call his doctor...Good Luck!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• well i'm also a first time mother and the support system I have near me is VERY small...... i'm not really worried enough to talk to a doctor...I just wanted to hear some opinions from here first!
    Anonymous

• I agree. takl to your doctor and so some research as well, you may be able to find something. Although I don't think the fact that he's quiet when you ask question is a sign of hyperactivity. Every kids is different and learns differently. I know my oldest was really good doing sign language and was an observer (he loved to just watch and observe) and now he's very active and won't stop talking lol. My youngest is very active and courageous and talks a lot and repeats everything (verbally and actions). So they are very different and it doesn't bother me. Have you tried sign language? maybe he learns better that way? Or maybe he's absorbing a ton of things, just just is internalizing it.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• thats what i'm thinking...he does seem to absorb a lot and sometimes out of nowhere he acts out what he was taught. like the other day I told him, "breakfast will be ready soon...ok?" and he responded" ok" LOL he hasnt said it since, but it just...came out of nowhere! and tonight I swear he said "I love you" after I told it to him....he was all about saying "mama", went through a phase of never saying it, and is saying it a lot again, but he refers it to me now! so he understands and nonverbally responds more than verbally...but the fact that he cant keep still and the short attention span has me a little worried....
    Anonymous

• I think most kids can't stay still and have short attention spans.... especially boys.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Did he recently have the MMR shot? NOT trying to start a debate at all, but it's another option to look at. Talk to the doc. I hope it's nothing :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Hyperactivity itself is more about the physical movement, attention deficit disorder is the focus, and I agree he's very young to tell. ADHD is Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity Disorder.If he's hyperactive....you'll know! Non-stop movement, usually even in their sleep, uanable to be still, out of control activity.

As for attention.....small children, especially your son's age....just have short attention spans. Relax, keep an eye on his development, but try to relax and enjoy watching him grow and learn. Your fears are normal....1st time, 2nd time, 3rd time moms, everything about our children worries us, and absolutely keep an eye on things, and bring them up to your doctor, but most of the time, kids will do some things faster, somethings slower, and eventually catch up!!

Good Luck Mommy!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• thanks everyone for your input! i guess i'm just a worrier lol. he is developing well! my sil and her gf stopped by a few minutes ago and said he is so smart and very active! I guess I'm also comparing a little too much. comparing him with my friend's baby who is 1 month younger and seems to be developing a little more, but then again she is a special ed teacher and her son is constantly around educational toys and programs
    Anonymous

• I guess that he is not your trained monkey!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2009