how can i get my daughter to change her earrings?

My six yr old: wanted to get her ears pierced before first grade. So i let her. Its been about thirteen weeks, and she will NOT let me touch them. She will NOT change them. They are healed, we did clean n take care of them:) But she is so afraid to change them: thinking its gonna hurt.
Any trix??

SylviasMommy

Asked by SylviasMommy at 10:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do it whle shes sleeping.thats how my mother did it 4 me.she also did my hair while i was asleep because i was a slightly nappy very tender headed lil girl lol
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Yeah, nope. She is sleeping right now......and she woke up Freakin' out! "y r u touchin' my ears!! I said i dont want you to!!" Cant say i didn't try
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Well I know this going to sound cruel but hold her down. I had to do it to my youngest daughter. After i took one out. I was like see it doesn't hurt and she let me take out the other one with no problem. Its fear. But once you take that away you should be fine. Well good luck.

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You should have waited until she was old enough to take care of them herself. She is scared that it is going to hurt and you can NOT force her to change the earrings. Tell her that if she wants to keep her ears pierced, she has to let you change them. If she won't let you change them, then take them out and let the holes close until she is old enough to care for them herself. My mother forced me to get mine changed when I was 5, she sat on me to change them. I took them out myself and threw them out, I was terrified after she forced me to change them. I am 38 and have never gotten my ears piereced again and I never will.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If they were pierced correctly they won't close up. I got mine pierced at 9, wore them up until about age 11, then quit wearing them. A few years ago (age 23 or 24) I tried putting some in to see if I could still wear them - they went in with no problems.

Can't say I blame her - studs are a PITA to take out and can hurt. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Tell her she's too young to have earrings then take them out and put them away until she's old enough to get them pierced again. Six years old is not nearly old enough to make a decision about permanent bodily modification for cosmetic reasons. You may well need help to get them out if she's that opposed, someone to hold her down and someone to take them out since they're both two handed jobs.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• show her a clip on www.youtube.com about changing earings for her age.. if she see's it being done, than she may want to try!

(((cross fingers)))
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My 5 1/2 year old has had hers pierced since 3mos. And they say leave them @least 6wks. I left them for a year. I just cleaned around them. Now shes 5 and changes them no prob. Even wears dangly ones to school. Maybe do it while shes sleeping!! I just hate we have lost so many of just "one" of her earrings.. I started buying those rubber screw on backs, seems to be better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• BTW, shes NOT too young. I have nieces and friends who waited until 7, 9, 11. Those are the ages where they arent use to them, they play with them. They get infected more.... I say the younger the better. My daugh was a baby and has NEVER messed with hers, shes use to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• JUST LET HER KEEP THOSE IN, ITS BEEN 13 WEEKS>>> :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2009