I was cleaning my cats litter box and under it and by her toys there was worm/maggot looking things crawling around (I was shaking and disgusted)... Where did they come from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Ummmm... Flies?? Yes, flies do lay eggs just about anywhere and it takes about 24 hours for them to hatch.... So, my guess, is yes... it's a maggot. No, it's not going to kill you.
    Anonymous

• There was like ten of them... I still have the creeps... they were bigger than most maggots I have seen.
    Anonymous

• could have been flies! make sure you clean the box and surrounding area really good. when you say they were big....were they very thin or fat? and as much as you'll avoid doing this, check the poop. if you see those things in the poop your cat has worms (sometimes if a cat has fleas and they swallow them, they get worms)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:08 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I'm gonna guess tape worms. Look a lot like little wriggly grains of rice but a bit bigger. My dog just had them and just one pill from the vet took care of them very quickly.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I just found another one... I am so freaking out. I do not want to even be in this house right now :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think I'm going to throw up from this post...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Take pics of them.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• I would say tape worms I would get some meds it should be okay
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Definitely get the cat some worm meds. That is what it is, I'd put money on it. He/she is pooping them out and they are spreading around. Make sure to keep the kids/other animals away till you get them cleaned up. And you DO have to clean them up - and kill them. Don't just hope they die or flush them or something. Put them in a coffee can and seal it tight and throw it in an outdoor garbage can. Pour some bleach on them first, preferably. Those things are good at getting places you don't want them to be.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:10 PM on Oct. 9, 2009