Is low blood pressure a big deal?

I went to the minute clinic at CVS yesterday and when the doctor took my blood pressure she was like "wow that's really low!" it was 98/72. She didn't say much about it, just that it was low. The whole time I was pregnant it only went as high as 114. Should I do something about this or is it ok since she didn't say anything was really wrong? I don't understand how it is low because I smoke, use birth control, and to top it off we had a car accident on the way there, so shouldn't it be high if anything? and my pulse was 62, isn't that high?

Sometimes I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to fall over. Could that be from the low blood pressure? or maybe from it jumping up to normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No. I've had it my whole life. When I get mad it goes to 120/80.But you can take a strong prescription vitamin.GL.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• idk... mines always around 100/60. and the docs never say anything but "wow, thats really low" And yea i get headrushes rly easy, feel faint when i sttand up, etc
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 11:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You can have serious medical complications from low blood pressure and you can die. If your blood pressure is too low, that means your blood and heart aren't pumping correctly. You really should talk to your doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• It really depends. If your normally low it's usually nothing. I've had low blood pressure all my life and I'm even obese. My blood pressure usually runs in the 100/60 range. It's important to remember that everyone is different and what is normal for you might not be in the normal range.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• 98/72 isn't considered by definition to be low. Low is when the bottom number falls below 50, and the top is below 80-90. Honestly, yours sounds just right. And I know - I've struggled with high pressure my whole life and my sister with low, so I've done the research.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I have had low blood pressure all my life. My mom has low blood pressure and she is still kicking at 79 going to be 80 in december. I also have low body temp, 98.6 forget it , I run 97.4 -97.7 and that is it. I don't know what too low is but my top number has run in the 90's. 65 for a heart rate is rather low, especially if you just got in a car wreck. Time for a check up.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• so does tham mean that even tough I'm fat and don't eat as healthy as I should my heart is still good?

OP
    Anonymous

• You can still be doing damage to it it's just not showing symptoms.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• That isn't really that low. That's a good blood pressure. I run very low. And now with my third pregnancy, it has dropped even lower. I'm in my 3rd trimester and was running 87/62 the other day.

Low blood pressure is healthy, unless dangerously low. It will make you feel tired and lethargic. You may occasionally see black and/or feel dizzy if you stand up too fast.

As for your 2nd question, blood pressure is largely hereditary. My mom was very over weight and ate horribly and still had low blood pressure until her late 50's. Now hers is dangerously high as expected from her lifestyle.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009