How can I get my kids to stop unfastening their seatbelts?

My 3 year old and 4 year old boys like to unfasten their seatbelts. They think it's funny. When they do it I pull over at a safe spot and fasten them and then tell them why they are not supposed to do it. Can anyone help me stop them from doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If they can not be trusted to not unfasten their seat belts then they probably need to be in a car seat with the 5 point harness.
    Anonymous

• Put them back into car seats where they belong.
    Anonymous

• Take them to the police department and have an officer talk to them about what happens when they take off their seatbelt. Or, like anon said, put them back in a seat with a 5 point harness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• If all else failes, like I was told by the police, just keep putting them back in the seat belts, and talk to them about the safty of the seatbelt. If that doesn't help then try to show them a movie about car safty and what the seat belt is for . That might work for a while. I personally haven't found anything that will work with my three yeear old . He still gets out of his five point harnis that he is in because he knowes how to unfasen the buckel.So every time he gets out I have to stop and rebuckle him, sometimes it gets on my nerves but if he is going to be safe I have to stop and do just that.
    momof7kids2007

Answer by momof7kids2007 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree with the ones who say if they aren't quite mature enough to understand that they need to keep their seatbelts on they need to be put right back into a 5pt harness.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Personally, I have dealt with this not to long ago, my three year old is bigger than some six year olds, he cannot fit in a carseat but is in a booster, when he did this i dont care where we were, i pulled over and turned off the radio and told hime we were not going anywhere till he got in his seat, I know it can be time consuming but we stuck with it and he stopped doing it, Good luck!
    hammockprincess

Answer by hammockprincess at 11:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• "he cannot fit in a carseat but is in a booster"

He CAN fit into a carseat you just have to get one that harnesses a higher weight. My son is nearly 50lbs and still in a 5pt.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• 5 pt is better if they can't act like "big boys" and stay in the boosters.

A friend of mine had the same problem with her son. She spotted a motorcycle cop who is always in the same spot in the morning by a school. She stopped (after dropping DS off at school) and explained the problem with the gentleman and asked him what he would suggest. He asked he to pass by tomorrow with her son and he would handle it.

Well, he pulled her over the next morning and asked the little one to step out of the car. He proceeded to explain that it was very important for him to remain in his seatbelt at all times until Mommy or Daddy unstraps him otherwise he could really get hurt. He never once raised his voice or anything but it made a HUGE impression on DS. He now makes sure everyone has their belt on before the car moves!
    BowlnGreen

Answer by BowlnGreen at 12:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• in the 5 point harness turn the buckles around.

my middle dd had a fascination with undoing hers. I took the bottom buckle part out and turned it around so the button was facing in. same with the chest clip.

she never undid them again.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Five point harness. Probably the THREAT of one would do it, but honestly, I'd have my four year old in a 5 point harness, because they are immature, and will make poor decisions. I take life threatening decisions off the table, such as putting them in a situation where they can take their belt off. If your 5 and 4 year old are giggling about it, they don't take it seriously, and need a 5 point harness. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is a Graco Nautilus. I have a friend with a developmentally delayed 7 year old that fits in it (otherwise, he wouldn't need it, but she puts safety first), so I'm betting your two will fit just fine.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009