The doctor told me my two year old is...

"exceptionally well developed" in his cognitive skills, b/c he can identify seven colors, can differentiate between different types of vehicles - vans, monster trucks, jeeps, back hoes, tractors, etc, can say all the animal sounds, and can identify most numbers by name, among other things. I honestly didn't think this was that uncommon for his age (he will be two next week). How does your two year old do with colors, numbers, etc.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 2 year old known none of them, and he only says about 4 words. But he knows things and can point to them if i ask such as dog, cat ect.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• knows* i can't type tonight im tired. lol. Mine is more into opening child proof things, that apprently are not child proof enough, might i add.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:24 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• my one year old is the same way developmentally... i guess on the 1 year questionaire, he did all things frequently, and only 2 of them sometimes... the pedi. was all excited about it lol
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My 22 mo old has two consistent words (eema and abba - mommy and daddy), lots of syllables, the ability to point and demand, has a vague conception of color ("get me the blue ring" might get me the blue, green or orange ring), can identify various animals though he can't quite get the right syllables matched to the animal he's spotted, and has no concept at all of animal sounds (I do sounds with him ALL the time). He's very active, very physical, works very hard to communicate with us, just doesn't have the skills down yet. We do speech motor development every day, animal sounds, colors/shapes, etc but I don't think he's quite ready yet.
    He would rather try and get into things he knows he's not supposed to be in. My kitchen drawers get emptied almost daily, lol.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My son is pretty good- I think he's "exceptionally developed"- even if a dr. doesn't say so. He can count to 10, suprised me by pointing out 3 colors in a book, knows 3 shapes and can name 5 animals and their sounds.
    He is learning the alpahbet (we sing the ABCs song and he is starting to say letters along with us). I am proud of my little boy- as evey parent should be of their child.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think that is advanced for his age. My daughter is almost 2.5 and in full time learning center where she learns very well. She knows numbers, but doesn't recognize the written number. She knows the colors but doesn't recognize the color itself except for one or two. She knows songs and all.

It's all a matter of how you teach. She's getting a broad education so knows a little bit about a lot of subjects. But if you are focusing in on colors and numbers and cars, then it makes sense that'd he'd know them.

I'd imagine, overall, he's about normal and just excels in a few areas. Which of course, is totally normal. Not that I'm tring to say your kid isn't exceptional! You should be proud. He's learning so well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• DD will be 2 Oct. 30. She walked really late and just really started chattering up a storm. Her playmate's Mom called her Slow, developmentally......NOW She knows all her colors, can count to 19, recognizes all her letters, can sing most of the ABC song, has an imaginary friend who's a pink gorilla named Mike, can do all sorts of animal imitations, as well as identify animals, and isn't just "mimicking" doing any of this. Oh, yeah, and she knows sharing, taking turns, patting and hugging when someone is "sad", usually speaks clearly in toddler sentences, and often freaks us out with very "adult" reactions, like telling me my outfit is "cute!" So much for being slow. Can't wait to see what her Ped. says at the 2 year appt.! Course, she could do none of this and I'd be over the moon in love with her too!

Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• OP here... Ems629, my son was the same way! He has a cousin who is a month older (technically 2 since my son was a month early), and her mom would constantly be raving to me (in a boasting way) about her DD and all the things she did that my son didn't. My son walked and talked late, and was really shy, and her DD talked and walked early and is really outgoing. And now, my son is way past her! He can ID about fifteen different animals, make all their sounds (none of it "mimicking" either), speaks in 3 -4 word sentences that are easily understood, etc., while his cousin is still working on 2 words at a time and can't be understood half the time. So much for early signs of "slowness", right?
    Anonymous

• Totally, OP. All kids have their different rates of learning...I mean for Pete's Sake, they are learning to walk, talk, communicate, express, to relate to their environment, other people...Sheesh! DD has a cousin who's 3 1/2 months older and is the same way as you are describing your niece. My brother was clearly...well jealous. They are in a high powered urban area where that kind of thing is a sure sign of "giftedness" LMAO They pulled me aside to wonder at her ability to independently draw a circle, then asked if I had taught her, or had her in classes! Um, no. I let her play and do what she enjoys and encourage her little successes. She can't even say her name properly. Who am I to qualify her abilities? BTW, she still is a bit shy, and really likes to suss things out before leaping in. OK by me. Less injuries!
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My 18 month-old knows: Pink, Purple, Orange, Black, Gray, White, Blue, Green, Brown, Red. She's REALLY into vehicles, knows the difference between: Truck, Car, RV, Boat, Plane, Garbage Truck, Chopper, Bus, Tractor. Knows tons of animal names and their sounds. Knows some of her shapes, is starting to count, like if I say one she says 2, I say 3 she says 4, etc. We stopped keeping track of her vocabulary at 500 words. I like to think she's gifted, but children this age all develope so differently, some kids her age don't talk at all yet but might be geniuses!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009