How can I get my kids to stop running away from me?

We recently bought a horse and I want to expose my 3 and 4 year old boys to him because they have a strong interest in horses. He is 19 and is a very laid back horse and is always kept in his pen when I take the boys to visit. They get so excited though that they run around the barn. I don't want them to scare the other horses or to get hurt but I don't want to avoid taking them to the barn. Any suggestions on how I can get them to listen to me when I tell them they need to not run and stay next to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take one of their favorite toys and let the horse trample it and explain thats what will happen to them if they get in a horses way and scare him by running... same goes for running into traffic. it SUCKS for them to lose that toy, but they WILL get the hint.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• beat their asses.... just sayin....
    Anonymous

• Look at them straight in the eyes and with a stern voice and tell stay next to me or else someone is going to get hurt and it's not the horses. ;-)

Anonymous

• try to explain to them what could happen if they scare one of the horses. not the graphic part, just the same as you explain why you don't pull on a dogs tail etc...tell them if a horse gets scared he may jump, and they can't control where they land, so that will make a really big boo boo for someone, either a horse or a person. so they need to stay right next to you when you guys go see the horses. i'd also go with a reward type thing for a bit, if they go 3 days w/o being nuts in the barn they can have a special snack or something.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I like that toy idea! My 4 year old son has started this lately too, he will take off running ahead of me to class to get his sister or in the PARKING Lot of the store. I'm so afraid he is going to get run over by a car!! I threaten him grab him by the arm (but then he kicks and screams says the whole your hurting me thing) and people stare. I too do not know how to get it thro to his head that he can not run away from me! Guess its time to go through the toy box! ;)
    MOMMA111

Answer by MOMMA111 at 2:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• my son will do this too, the running thing, not very often, a few times when i told him to come here and he knew i was upset. And others its just, ahead of me running into stores or to the bathroom, or whatever,. ...This is a big stage of testing limits and not with just there parents. At 4 years they are gaining a sense of how far there independence will take them. They can be very impressionable. A 3 year old still have then tendency to mimic, as they are too learning how to become there own little person. Dont over complicated your explanation, yes there smart, but they are only 4, there attention span is like 4 mins. if that in a high strung child. The best answer so far is vabchgmommy...the whole toy massacre thing is a little far out there. Peace baby.

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 9:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2009