My 1 year old is scared of walking

He is 1 year and 2 months and still not walking he took three steps about two months ago but just sat down ritgh after and it seems as if he's scared of trying again cause everytime I try letting him walk he just sits down is there some way I can help him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did that, he wouldn't walk after he tried at 11 mos. and kept falling, but he just got up one day and hasn't stopped since. He was about thirteen months then. They told me later that he has a hip defect that makes him a wee bit pigeon-toed, and my theory is that had something to do with it. But I know it is not too uncommon to not walk by 14 months - by 16 I would address it with his doctor though.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My daughter would walk when no one was watching. But as soon as you saw her, she would stop. I think she was scared too. But one day, she just took off and I haven't been able to stop her since. She was about 14-15 months when she really blossomed into walking solo.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Some kids just don't walk til they're older. He's obviously not ready, so just leave him be. He'll walk when he's ready.
    Anonymous

• I guess ur ritgh it's just that he's my first child and I don't really know what to expect I have alot of people telling me that he should be walking by now and that he's lazy those comments make me feel bad but yeah I should just let him walk on his own :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My first child didn't walk until she was 14 months old. She didn't want to fail so she just waited until she knew she could do it. One day we were sitting on the floor playing and she just stood up and walked over to her toy box like she'd been doing it all along.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• lskkra- I was pigeon-toed when I was younger.. enough so that I was in a corrective cast for over a year. I started walking within the normal time.

OP- My son is 13 months old and is doing the same thing.. I hold him by the hands and make him walk.. he resists at first, then once he realizes he can see places he couldn't see when he crawls.. he laughs. I figure he'll walk when he wants to.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• my son didnt start walkin until he was 14mths old. I remember thinkin "is he ever gonna walk" now he runs and will not sit down! enjoy your time cuz its comin:) get him somethin he can push.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My neice was the same way. She never really started walking until a few weeks ago, and she's 18 months. But we never made any nasty comments about it. I think that's just horrible that people are calling him lazy.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2009