Military moms, what are your deployment traditions?

What do you do for him? For the kids? Anything special for you?

My hubby just left for three months on his sub. I sent him with cards for Halloween and Thanksgiving (they didn't have Christmas or New Years cards yet, so those will go when we get a mail drop) plus random I miss you cards, congrats for halfway night, etc.

We all made pillowcases right before he left. He has a dinosaur pillowcase from when he was a kid, and our three year old daughter loves it, so they made two together, one for each of them. I made a hand print one for me.

I recorded my hubby reading a few stories for our daughter, so she can still have her bedtime story from him. She has a build a bear that is dressed like a sailor and has his voice in it. She also has a daddy doll.

I think we're going to make a paper chain. I did it during his workup and just added links while she was sleeping when they extended.

So what do you do?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am not a military mom but I have to say that you have some really awesome ideas. I can't imagine what it would be like to be away from your husband for that amount of time! I have to say thank you for sharing him with the rest of the county so he can help make sure that all of us are safe.

thank you

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• when mine goes away (army) we always do little things, the day he leaves me and the kids just sit around in pajamas and watch movies and eat popcorn and cry if we need to. i try to set little milestones that they can understand to count down the time, plus that way i dont have to be date specific since i dont know when he is coming home until right before. the day he left he gives them a stuffed animal or something small and he will take a small toy of theirs that they chose for him to take and then when he comes home he gives it back. his boxes usually have pictures of us, and drawings from the girls and i let them pick a couple pieces of candy to put in there to. also for me & him (cause we need stuff to) we love to talk about all the fun stuff we can do when he comes home.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You have awesome ideas, Tori!

I sent my hubby a travel mug that you can personalize with pictures inside it. I also put his name inside. He doesn't drink coffee, but most people have their own cups they carry around whether they drink soda or water or whatever. It had pictures of the kids in it, so he loved that, plus it made it hard for anyone to accidently or purposely steal his cup.
    Writing out letters to him might be nice. Even though you can e-mail, it might be nice to have a hand written letter. Me and my hubby always like to talk about the future when he's gone, whether through e-mail or on the phone or whatever. In the future he will not be doing these deployments anymore. Snacks and candy are always a hit in packages.
    For myself, I listen to music that reminds me of him when I'm feeling sad. It usually makes me cry, but sometimes you need to cry, KWIM? Sometimes I feel like those songs carry me through the rough
    tiff1124

Answer by tiff1124 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• times.

For the kids, the easiest thing has been to keep them occupied and distracted from the fact that Daddy is gone. The daddy doll, and the recorded stories will probably be great at reminding her of him. So far, for me, it has been easy for the kids. They don't seem to understand how long 3 months is, so they're never too upset.
    tiff1124

Answer by tiff1124 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009