If a baby is not supposed to have cow's milk until a year old, why is it in baby cereal (stage 1)?

Nestle rice cereal (add water kind) has dry skim milk in it. Does the fact that it's dry make it ok for babies. I'm ticked because I've been feeding this to my baby, assuming it is fine. Then I read the ingredients and saw this. Now I'm worried my baby will have allergies.

NewMom311

Asked by NewMom311 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even formula has milk "stuff" in it. That is why they make a lactose free and soy kind for babies with milk allergies. And if you bf and drink milk, you are passing that along to your baby as well. So don't worry too much.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Because Nestle is a horrible company. I'm boycotting along with thousands of other mothers due to their inethical advertising practices among third world women.

Most formula is cow's milk as well. It's not good for our babies, but that's what we decided to give them in lieu of mother's milk.

If you waited until your baby was 6 months to start cereal or anything else (WHO and AAP both recommend this) then your baby should be fine. If you didn't then it won't be the milk that causes the problems (because the problem with milk is that it's hard to digest) it will be that your little one's gut wasn't closed before you introduced "unsterile" food into it. If you didn't wait until 6 months then that's even more reason to avoid common allergens until 2 years (nuts, peanuts, strawberries, shellfish, etc).

Don't beat yourself up, though... just boycott Nestle :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Formula is cow's milk, too. That's why I breastfeed. I also don't use baby cereal at all. From my SIL, though, I know that Heinz is much better, and doesn't have milk (at least in the stage 1 cereals).
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I never used Nestle, but just think of how many parents use it. I can't imagine it would cause any problems, or it would have been pulled off the shelf long ago.

Answer by missanc at 3:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It does cause problems, formula and cereal cause a lot of problems, it is not healthy. The healthiest nutrition for a baby is his/her mothers milk, after that donated breast milk and goats milk are better options than formula.
    I breastfeed my kids and dont do the cereal, it has very little to no nutritional value, its basically just empty calories.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I was very choosey about which cereal I bought. I didn't buy Nestle or Gerber. I bought an organic one that was made from brown rice, which is way better for you than white rice. The one I used had no milk product in it at all. Milk allergy runs in my family. Neither of my kids were every exposed to dairy until after 15 months old.

I agree with the poster that says Nestle is a horrible company. I don't use any of their baby food or toddler food products because I don't like their ingredients.

I just wanted to add that I'm not an organic buying mom normally. My 3 year old eats pizza and fast food with us. I think we eat a very normal, and a lot of times unhealthy, American diet. But, I'm very careful about what my kids eat for the first 2 years so that I can hopefully keep my kids from having a long list of food allergies like I do.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2009