I will be watching a friends 2 1/2 yo son 3 days a week and was wondering how much I should charge?

I have never paid to have my child babysat and have no clue where to start. Family has always been there and I haven`t worked since I got pregnant with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for how long?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I would say $15 depending on how long you are going to have him. If its more than 9 or 10 hours or if he is still in diapers then I would say $20. I would also have her provide juice and snacks.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• well she is hoping to get the job in like 2 weeks and if the job works out a few months at the least
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I personally never charge for friends or family. That is just me though. If she asked you to watch her child and she said she was willing to pay you two should sit down together and see how much her checks will be and decide an amount off that. You don't want to get walked all over, but you don't want to make her give you too much to where she has nothing left of the check.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Be careful with this. I just got done babysitting my friends 2 1/2old daughter three days a week. she said she'd feel bad if she didn't pay me something. So after babysittin three days a week for over a month I got a $20gift card....You have to find some type of exchange otherwise you will get mad very fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• $15-20 a day is pretty standard. It really depends, though, on how good a friend she is, how much she'll be making, and how badly you need the money. If you don't need the money and she's a good friend, maybe $20-25 for the week (as a PP said, you want to have some kind of exchange, or you run the risk of her taking advantage of you, with or without intending to).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm watching my neighbor's son and had the same question so I called my local day care facilities and asked how much they'd charge to watch the child and base my prices on that (a little lower maybe). I mean you are taking on a part time job you should get compensated for that. In my area the rates were between $25 & $45 a day or 3 days at $95. Seeing as the hours aren't 100% set we went with an hourly rate of $3/hour ($24/8hour day). I'd also sit down with your friend and talk about what she needed to bring (diapers, snacks, clothing, toys?) how much will be paid and when, any vacations planned, what to do if you, your family, or the child is sick. . . then grab a crayon and a scribble pad and write it all out, contract like. This way you separate out friendship and business and keep them separate. (I watch a lot of people's court and this is the advice the judge always gives)

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009