I don't know how to get on the floor and play with my child, Please Help!

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some suggestions as to what to do with my child and how to play with her, she is 4 years old, I want to be able to get on the floor and play with her, I guess I just don't know how, I know its sad, I think I just grew up way to fast and never knew how to really play. Please Help.

ThriftySteph

Asked by ThriftySteph at 1:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just get on the floor and ask what she wants to do. She'll lead you from there!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• maybe coloring or playing a fun game like trouble or something or with some learning cards barbie dolls anything i understand what u r saying i have to play with a 8 year old and a 10 year old lol it is way harder with them....good luck
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i thought i would have that problem with my kid. i was scared of the whole thought of having to get on my knees and "connect" with a child.... BUT my 2 yr old is such fun ! lol. You just sit down, get to her level, and talk to her. Ask HER what does she want to do... maybe she'll want to color? draw crazy flowers, The sun, in different colors, say How silly is that purple sun !!! tickle her, chase her around, get up and dance!
    go crayzy! lol. dont feel weird about, its ok if you feel a lil intimitated, maybe like you are unsure, but once you see how much ur kid enjoys it, it'll get easier. Dont b AFRAID to be a goofball ! enjoy her innocence while its still there. in 4 more years, she might not want to play silly games anymore....
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 4:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I felt a little like you, but let's be honest. Your DD doesn't care that you don't know how to play, she just cares that you're on the floor watching her and in her space. All she wants is your attention. Once you realize that, you'll relax a little. Then you just pretend it's a real life situation. Get the baby doll, pretend you're feeding the baby, burp the baby, rock the baby, and put baby down for a nap. The more you get into just the basics of pretend play, the more creative and silly you'll get. At least, that's how it was for me. Now, I stack blocks, but really we're building a garage or a bridge for his trucks. I answer the phone (banana) and tell him Santa is on the phone for him (or the Easter Bunny or whoever). He giggles, answers, and has a conversation with Grandmaw.
    You can do this, you've just forgotten how, that's all. The more you bite the bullet and try it, the easier it will get. I promise.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• At four she can play some games with her. Try a game like memory, or go fish. That might get the ball rolling. After that just let her take the lead. If she likes Barbies, then pick a doll, do her hair, and change her outfits. If she likes drawing then get some crayons and paper and just sit next to her and doodle.

When I play with my 4 yo nephew I won't play with his hot wheels cars or anything like that because he doesn't need me for that. He can play hot wheels alone or with his friends. I color and do art projects with him, my husband plays soccer and other sports with him. Pick things that you think are fun and do those with your daughter. If you hate dress up then she can do that alone or with her friends - you don't have to play all of her games - just some of them :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• lots of stuff. follow the leader, tea party. pretent to be dogs and crawl around and bark. Put her on your knees while laying on yoru back and lift her into the air. CHances are, she'll lead and tell you what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Pat yourself on the back girly, u r going in the right direction! My daughter and i are one continuous tea party. She love to "cook" for mommy. heck even if i'm watching my rarity of tv. she brings me dinner and i "babysit" her babies while she cooks, goes to the store etc. When i do my homework my little one has to do her "homework" and the colors are out! when i clean she has a cleaning chore right next to me. It doesnt matter WHAT u do as long as u are doing something together!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009