Car seat positions?

I have a son he is 11 months will be 1 on the 21st,
I am expecting my second child i am due in november
well my question is i know that newborns have to be
seated in the middle of the car
my smil told my dh that we can put both
carseats on either end of the car so that my oldest son
won't hit my newborn or whatnot, if i place them side by side with newborn in the middle
I don't know where to put the carseats basically pls help!

waterlily89

Asked by waterlily89 at 2:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would do one on each side. I think it's more likely that your one year old will hit, scratch or throw something at the baby than you getting in an accident. Just my opinion.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Thank you, very helpful, i kinda forgot exactly how mischevious my son is lol
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• The safest place you can put your newborn is where you can get the best install on both the carseats. Unless you have a very wide vehicle, the seats will install better if they're not right next to each other. You don't necessarily have to have your newborn in the center. While it is the safest place in the vehicle, proper installation trumps that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• u can go to ur local police station or fire department and they can give u better advice and show u how to do it and even do it tight enough for u k hope u figure it out i had to take my carseat to the police station to be installed the right way......good luck on the new baby and happy early bday to the one year old ....i cant wait till mine turns one lol
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies so much i just might go to the police station lol thank you btw i am so excited
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I put my 2nd in the middle and my first moved to the side, then my third went in the middle with the 2 older ones one either side, I never had a problem with the older ones hitting or bothering the baby, they helped by entertaining baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Just make sure that if you go to a police or fire station, that the person helping you is certified. Cops and firefighters are NOT required to be certified in car seat safety, and many of them know NOTHING about the subject. Stop by the car seat safety group, and they can help you find a tech in your area.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well assuming they are both rear facing then your oldest should have a hard time getting to the newborn... i know my 13th old son cant reach his sissy cuz he is rear facing, but she can reach him because she is forward facing...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2009