Need advice about unruley ONE year old boy????

My son, Alexander is a year old. He is a very sweet and smart boy. He is a good boy bt he seems to be better for daddy than he is for me. I have been told that this is the standard, but he seems to get exceptionally out of cntrol for me. When I try to discipline him in anyway he throw his body around (whether i'm holding him or not), throws himself on the floor. Things that I thought children did when they were older i.e. teribble two's. I do all of the same things my husband does, but it never seems to be effective. If anyone has any suggestions plase feel free to offer them. I don't want to be calling nanny 911 in a few years! LOL.

mumsy2b

Asked by mumsy2b at 2:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stick to your guns and walk away when he throws his tantrums. Reassure him with hugs and kind words once he calms down.
    Also, try not to let all authority lay in the hands of your husband. If Alexander will only calm down when dad steps up, make sure dad leaves the room when you are trying to exercise your authority.
    Good Luck. I'd like to say it will get better soon... but try to take it one day at a time.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• my son is 11 months old ans has learned rather quickly that fits do not work with me; lol i am a firm parent ( i raised my nieces) and so he learned how to throw fits from them; i just left where he was on the floor and walked away goin on about my business, one of two things would happend one he would forget about it and just get up and walk around, or two he would still be there crying where i would still be walking around handlin my business granted i spanked my nieces when they continued to throw a fit (if u wanna cry and dance around there was the reason) but of course they were two when they started their fit throwing I hope i was of any help Good luck
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Why do toddlers tantrum?

Officially toddlers temper tantrum because they're overwhelmed by the frustration of wanting or needing something but not being able to express themselves enough to get it. In real terms this means they tantrum because they're tired, hungry, bored, want attention, don't want to do something or simply because they don't know what they want. Big life changes such as a new baby or a house move can also start of a spate of temper tantrums.

How to minimise the risk of a tantrum

While sometimes your toddler will fly off the handle whatever you do there are certain things you can try to minimise this 'erratic' behaviour.

Keep a regular routine

for more visit askbaby.com
    Mrs.Howell06

Answer by Mrs.Howell06 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My son since he turned one has been the same with the temper tantrums...things I thought I wouldnt have to deal with till later. He's always been a really independent happy kid..but lately he's being a little butt..lol I kinda agree with the post above...sometimes i think he gets mad bc he wants something but can't express to me what it is. I dunno...all i can say is good luck and ur not alone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I tell my son to go to his room until he can calm down and tell me what's wrong. (he's 15 mo.s old) so he runs into his room and most of the time you can tell what's wrong because he'll throw whatever makes him mad or he'll hit the kitchen door if he's hungry but I do not tolerate fits so he goes to his room when he throws them and if he won't walk to his room I will carry him and sit him on the floor. It may sound mean but it worked for me. Plus sometimes he throws fits without knowing what's going on. Like when I made him a little choclate milk I put about 1/4 chocolate milk in there and then filled the rest up with white milk. Well he wouldn't drink it because he thought it was plain milk, took me about an hour to get him to just taste it every time he saw the cup he would just start crying again and he'd run back to his room. it's kind of funny when you think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• thanks OP for asking this. My one year old gets SO MAD when he doesn't get his way! Either he doesn't want to get dressed, come in from playing outside or let down from being held. Oh man, if you take away something he shouldn't have... sometimes he will scream like he is in PAIN. I'm reading "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" - and hoping some of the techniques will help! I'm there with ya, mama.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm also glad this was asked, my son just turned one last month. He is starting to throw a little fit too when he doesn't get his way, worse yet, he is hitting. I think he picks this up from another baby in daycare. Is one too young too firmly grab his hand and tell him "No" sharply? I don't think so, but dh does. Any words of advice?
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 9:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It sounds like you are trying too hard. Discipling a one year old is about as effective as holding sand from the ocean in your hand. Just enjoy him and relax. Don't try to mold him into an adult at 1. Kids react to our energy from anger, frustration, etc. He's struggling to get away from that negative energy (not from you as a person). Kids that age have a short attention span. If he continues acting out then play with him. It will distract him from what he was doing (tantrum) and make things more fun for both of you.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Is one too young too firmly grab his hand and tell him "No" sharply? I don't think so, but dh does. Any words of advice?

YES. Listen to dh. Hitting only teaches them to hit. You will not be teaching him the lesson you are ultimately wanting him to learn.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2009