What to do with a 12 yr old boy that loves to cuss?

My son Kevin thinks it big and bad to be cussing all the time.And trust me,he knows all the cuss words.i am at my wits end.What should i do...taking things away doesnt help and getting onto him does either..What should i do..

twilkes1974

Asked by twilkes1974 at 3:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• We used to make kids brush their teeth with baking soda, it tastes just nasty, but is really good for teeth and gums. The year we had the outbreak of cussing the dentist commented on how clean our kids' teeth were, LOL

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• Tell him you love feeding dish soap to nasty mouth boys. :D
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i agree with the above soap in the mouth....or get something spicy or hott if he doesnt like that or a jalapeno and make him hold it on his tounge or bit it everytime he says a bad word thats what we do and it works good luck
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Ido not like to use soap but vinegar works just as well!! :)
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 12:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Soap in the mouth always worked for me when I was under 10 but 12 year old boys can be kinda difficult so it might be a little hard to get the soap in the mouth. So my parent we to taking things away. I cused once they would take my phone away then the play station and so on and so forth then they would give something back each day I went with out cusing.
    purplecraze579

Answer by purplecraze579 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Well I tend to be a bit lenient here because sometimes they are just doing it for attention. However some of the words that society feels is "vulgar" or bad are plain ridiculous. Think about what words really upset you and are truly not appropriate, like the F* word and the B* word and go from there. I have no problem with words like damn, ass, and hell and the initials that actually mean "Ship High In Tranport." as those are all rather basic words to me. Those don't bother me. Now if they are damning someone to hell and then that's a no-no as they have no divine powers. I don't like the derogatory names that people use, those are the ones that are unacceptable to me so again those are off limits. I have also explained that to some people swearing shows a lack of education and they should be respectful of their audience. Honestly though, at 10 and 14 its not a problem in our house. (cont.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• (con.t) My kids don't swear, unless its something that causes even most adults to swear, like stub a toe! I know when I was a kid all of those words were off limits and I had always wondered who had decided those words were bad? So that is why I honestly don't even pay attention to it. My kids are fairly uninfluenced by those around them so peer pressure isn't a problem either. One of the advantages of their learning disabilities.

Still its not something they have to "wait and be a grown up to do" and so it takes all the "fun" out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• use Dawn, just a dab will be enough!

My kids know that those words are not 'grown up words' they are not words for anyone to be saying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Pop him square in the mouth, he will totally not see it coming, it will startle the crap out of him and I bet he will stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• When my cousins were 8 and 10 they started using vulgar words and they'd get a spoonful of vinegar if they were caught cursing. I was 6 at the time but I remember it clearly. I didn't start cursing until I was about 13.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2009