My husband is caring and loving ,until it comes to flu shots,he won't get them,how to change his mind?

I have to twist his arm, to get him to, why can't he be concerned like me instead of thinking about saving money?We are going to get some,like I think it's 4 seperate shots required for children under 10!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm a little confused. Does HE not want to get a shot, or is it the kids he doesn't want to get vaccinated? If it's him, let him be. We don't get them, either. I refuse to. I don't see the point in getting sick unless I just pick it up somewhere else (I ALWAYS get the flu TERRIBLY with a shot, but only for a few days, mildly, without.)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• dont pressure him....the regular flu shot doesnt PREVENT the flu totally....it just makes it if you get it less severe and pass quickly. i understnad you wanting him to get it but the regular flu, if you keep an eye on any fever or anything serious can pass without causing a life...if it was proven the flu was deadly (and i know it can be) MORE often, i would understand pressuring someone to get the shot...but dont stress...ALOT of people get it and make it through just fine!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If he is play flu-roulette... hoping or thinking that the children won't get the flu, so that he had decided to save the cost of the shots for the children. Then he should talk with their doctor.

If he is afraid of the children getting serious disorders because of getting the flu shots, he should discuss this with the doctor.

If he wants to save the cost of the flu shot for himself, thinking he can tough out the flu if he gets it, tell him the missing work and the cost of meds to help him get over the flu, the cost of the extra laundry, exposing the family to the flu, would not be worth it, that it is best for him to stay well, and a small cost to help that.

If he is against the idea of a flu shot. He should talk with his doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 7:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Flu shots are just another way for big business to scare the people. They do not prevent the flu. I have known several people that ended up hospitalized within days of the shot. If you are all in good health with no immune compromising disorders, then there really is no reason to get vaccinated. Your bodies are capable of fighting it off.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I can't begin to understand why not getting the flu shot would negate or anyway effect your view of him as caring and loving. Seriously, not that big a deal. He's a big boy and if he doesn't want the flu shot, why are you trying to be his mother?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Oh, and the kids are his too, so if this issue is about whether or not the kids get the flu shot, its as much his business as yours. His opinions should be just as valid. Plenty of people don't get the flu shot and survive-- and even thrive. Challenge him to come up with better reasons than money (if this is about the kids--- if its just him, his reasoning is fine as is) and then actually listen to him! Have a real conversation and let him make some parenting decisions too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Is he not wanting to get the shot for personal reasons or solely for money reasons? If it's money reasons then that's not a good reason. If it's beccause he doesn't think the shot is necessary then I understand his viewpoint. We're not getting the flu shot here. Well, my oldest son is because he is in the Army but the rest of us won't be getting it. The H1N1 flu virus is not any more deadly than the regular flu virus. It's all hype. Use Lysol, anti-bacterial soap, hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial multi-surface spray, etc. and you will be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• So is it the children that he won't get shots for??? Or is it himself?? My husband got the flu shot one time. I have never gotten the flu shot nor have my children. And they won't. Does that make me less caring and loving??

I think its a personal decision and you both need to discuss it with the doctor,
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I never give my daughter, or myself the flu shot. It's a big waste, & of course Dr.'s tell you to get them. They are paid to say that. They buy so many vaccine's & have to get rid of them. It's their job to recommend the vaccine. The 2 times i got the shot was the only 2 times I've ever had the flu. So, personally i think they are a big waste. ANYWAY, the strain they put in the regular flu shot, is what they THINK will be the flu that gets around the most. They also make the flu shot way before the flu season. So, it's all based on assumptions. It definitely is NOT a sure way to prevent the flu. There are MANY more flu virus's that they do not put in the flu shot. I agree w/ your hubby...waste of time, waste of money.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• The flu shot is one of the most worthless wastes of money and time. It does nothing to prevent the flu. It is manufactured in the springtime, months before "flu season" actually starts, so there's no way of knowing what strain of flu is actually going around that year. The best way of preventing the flu is eat to take lots of Vitamin C and D, get lots of rest, and wash your hands. The reason why "flu season" is in the fall and wintertime, is because everyone is shut up inside with each other, the weather is cooler so you keep your windows closed, and it's more difficult to get outside and breathe fresh air. Flu season is at its peak during the holidays, because there are more gatherings, and people are around each other, in close quarters, no fresh air circulating. It's only common sense.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009