Please help. I'm just stuck and I don't know what to do.

I'm 17 and have a 2 week old. Her father's a marine and is away and my parenst aren't talking to me. I'm working so hard to do this on my own sinc eno-one said I could and any tips would help really. I haven'ts lept in a week it feels and she just screams constantly, I'm trying to keep myself healthy because i'm breastfeeding but sometimes I just forget to eat. I'm so tired and any tips on thes creaming would help. Or to get her to sleep. Or anything. Please. Thank you for any help. Sorry I know it's a silly question and that I should be fine coping with it but I'm so bad at this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey don't worry about sounding silly. I think we've all been there to some degree before. Since you breastfeed, do you co-sleep? That REALLY helped my daughter. I know it has to be rough being by yourself in this, but it's really just trial and error. Try rocking her, singing to her, co-sleeping, putting her in a baby swing or bouncer, etc. You CAN do this, and things will get a little easier once you both adjust. Do you swaddle her? That also helped my daughter for a while. Being really close to me helped her a lot. Try laying down with her on your chest, skin to skin, (with a blanket over you to her shoulders if it's cold inside) so that she can be near you and hear your heartbeating. That can be soothing to really young babies. Eventually you will get everything figured out, it just takes time. And if she's screaming and you've checked everything (diaper, she's not hungry, etc.), it's ok to put her down for a few minutes.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I was 19 when I had my first. Although my family helped some I can sorta relate to your situation. #1 you CAN do this. I got through it and so will you. #2 My daughter had colic (which is where they SCREAM constantly for a period of time) EVERY night from 7pm-1am. It was horrible. The only thing that would sort of console her is to cosleep. Most people will tell you not to do this but really it saved my life lol.
    Kudos to you for breastfeeding. Most teen moms don't. Remember that the 1st month is painful but it will pass. And it really will, don't worry. Some people recommend nipple shields if the pain is unbearable and doesn't go away.
    PM me if you need to talk. I'm on pretty often :)
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 6:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• there are no silly questions, hang in there. The no sleep thing will pass, what worked great for my daughter was a swing. We had one with batteries, it was great, she loved it. As for my son, the only thing that really worked for him was when I held him. I too co-slept, it was a heck of a lot eaisier, (since I was nursing) he is now 2 years old and has slept in his own bed (alone since he was 1) I wouldn't worry too much about being silly. Try to sleep when she does. I know it is hard, but even if you lay on the couch for a few, you need to take care of yourself just like her. just check the basics, is she hungry, diaper change, to cold or to warm. if not try anything, you CAN DO THIS. Don't forget to eat. Try to eat after she does, (even if it is a banana, yogurt, something) take your time, be patient, you will figure this out. Best of luck:)
    mereinhart28

Answer by mereinhart28 at 7:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I agree with the PPs. My DD cried a lot too, and the only way I could get her to sleep was cosleeping. Having a child that never wanted to be put down, I also invested in a Moby which I used until she was 1. That thing saved my life! It was the only way I ever ate or got any house cleaning done. I just popped her in her sling and get everything done! You can even sling a baby in a shower. Ring slings are great for that. Just put the baby in and be careful where the water stream goes, hang the sling up to dry when you're done, like a towel.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2009