HOw can I increase my milk supply?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how true it is, but i was told 1 (one) beer would help. It wasn't supposed to be enough alcohol to affect the baby or you. However the yeast in the beer was supposed to help bring in milk?

crazy i know.. but.. worth looking into?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Hienekin (sp?) is supposed to be the best for this like PP says. Oatmeal, Mother's Milk tea, Fenugreek also help but I saw your other post about introducing the bottle...that would be a bad idea if you are experiencing low milk levels...

How do you know that you aren't producing enough? If it's by pumping...pumps are not an effective measure of how much you are producing as they cannot get out the amount a baby can.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Why do you feel your supply is not adequate?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Feeding your baby more and drinks plenty of fluids is the sure fire way. Always works for me. If you are worried that your child is not getting enough, let her/him nurse longer and more often. A breastfeed baby usually stops when full.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Drink plenty of water, cut back on caffeine, and feed on demand. The single best way to beef up your supply is to feed on demand. Your body produces milk according to how much is used.

Most women who think they are having trouble with supply really aren't. Many successful breast feeding moms are only able to get an ounce when pumping (from both breasts even).

If you're supplementing formula, that will decrease your supply. You need to feed at the breast with every feeding. If your baby is wetting 6 diapers a day then you are producing plenty.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I made certain that I stayed fully hydrated by drinking water...tons of water! LOL I carried a water bottle with me every where I went. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    dizneedreamin

Answer by dizneedreamin at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009