MY 10 day old son thinks my nipple is a pacifier and at night time he will not sleep unless he is right next to it or has it in his mouth... how can i break him of this.. druing the day he is fine it is only at night

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution." Buy it on Amazon today and have it overnighted to you. It will help you keep your sanity. You need a bassinet or co-sleeper right next to your side of the bed. Walk around most of the day with a small teddy bear in your shirt (so it smells like you) and place it in the bassinet/co-sleeper. After he completes a feeding, place him in the bassinet and keep your hand on his chest until he settles then slowly withdraw your hand. Repeat this if necessary until he remains calm without your hand. You really need the book, but that's enough advice to get you going today.

Also, if you are ok with a pacifier, you can introduce one now. Both of my babies used pacifiers from day 1 and I never had any trouble with breastfeeding.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• wow my apologies, i though i read 10 year old , but its days... if you go to a baby store, they have nuks that almost feel , like and look like nipples, but he is only 10 days old, it should take much to break him. do it quic k , he will only fuss for a few days, before he forgets all aobu it. but hold him doing the day with a regular pacifier, and then give that to him at night. good luclk
    mosaickathy1

Answer by mosaickathy1 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• This is pretty normal. Your infant is used to being INSIDE you, so it's only normal that he'd want to be close to you. I'd just let him do this, as the suckling increases supply, and the closeness comforts him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2009