1 yr old just started daycare, and now won't sleep through the night.

His daddy and I are at the end of our ropes. We started daycare in late September, and suddenly he's waking up in the middle of the night 3-4 times per week. When he gets up, he wants to play for hours. He is already getting next to no sleep...He went from 2 2 hr naps every day to 1 1 hour nap. He went from waking up at 8 to waking up at 6:30am, and he is going to bed at the same time. Meanwhile, we're getting up and killing ourselves from getting next to no sleep. Last night we laid there and listened to him for the better part of 40 minutes, until we just couldn't take it anymore and went and got him. It has never worked if we just step into the room and pat his back or something. And it's an obvious, not-going-to-sleep-anytime-soon cry, and we do have to get up with him. Once we get up with him, game over, we're up for the next 3 hours. Dangerous, when you consider that we're only sleeping for 5 hours as it is.

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• So, my questions are...How do I get him back to sleeping through the night?
    Is my going back to work going to send us all to the crazy barn?
    Should we keep him up past 8pm? This doesn't seem healthy, but his daddy is ready to keep him up until 11 so that he stays asleep...?
    Is this just an adjustment to daycare (3rd week, now) or is this a sign that it isn't working out?
    And...what other signs are there that daycare isn't working out? So far, it's been a painful experience.
    I'd appreciate any advice you have. I'm starting to really lose it, lol...
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Sounds to me like the daycare is causing more trouble than it's worth. Either find an in home sitter,a home daycare, or quit your job and stay home with him. After 3 weeks of this, I think you have all the "signs" you need that this isn't working out. It's not worth it if he's not sleeping, you and your husband aren't sleeping and everyone is stressed out and upset. He's going to get sick from not sleeping and being upset all the time. I think you know what to do!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Sounds like he's over tired. He'll sleep better if he gets a better nap and can go to bed earlier. Talk to his teachers about his nap. Ask how they do nap and if the other kids keep him up. My daughters teacher was talking one day about how a child in her class always got a 2-3 hour nap but when the same child was in the younger class, she'd only get half an hour to an hour nap. It was because some of the other kids weren't sleeping and woke the other kids up.

I'm not too sure what else would cause him to be up like this. Good sleep patters and solutions to see fi there is more guidance. Also, is he acting sick at all? Teething? etc. I know my daughter never really acted sick or got fevers but her sleep would get a little off.

There are so many things that can impact sleep, it's really hard to tell. But major chances, such as day care, can be one of those reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_my-toddler-isnt-sleeping-whats-wrong_1293473.bc

the item that jumped out to me is overstimulation.

One other thing. I remember my duaghter being up and down like that at night a few times. The doctor said that sometimes, when their sleep is disrupted, it can take up to a week for them to get back into their usual routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2009