Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can obtain copies of this?

My ex's first born turns 18 next week. In order for me to have the child support reevaluated, i need proof that she is 18, to make a motion to the judge. I live in Wisconsin, she is in Colorado. My ex for sure won't give me the info. Any suggestions? Must be legal too!

Answer Question

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 4 (36 Credits)
Answers (28)
  • Are you not the parent? Why wouldn't you have legal rights to access this info?

    Answer by Jademom07 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I'm guessing that once you can prove that he is no longer having to pay child support for this child, then you can have your order of child support re-visited.

    As far as I know, birth records are a matter of public record. I would suggest though that you contact a lawyer and have them obtain this info for you.

    Or, depending on your relationship with the girl's mom, you could ask her.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • No, I am not her mother, and I am definitely not friends with her.

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I guess I am just confused as to why you are paying CS on a child that is not yours? In that case, I have no idea how you can legally get that info...

    Answer by Jademom07 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Oh I am sorry. My ex has to pay me support for our 3 also. He also has another one on the way with his new wife. My support was reduced because of his first obligation, even though we were not aware of this child until about 6 years ago. The mother came knocking for $. Nice, huh?

    Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Child support may continue past 18. In IN child support can go up to age 21. They have tried to pass laws making it stop at 18 but as far as I know it hasn't happened. Most kids turn 18 when they are still in high school. If child support stops they could have to drop out of school and get a job for the family to survive.

    You can get geneology info online. I don't know if that could lead you to where you could get something official.

    Answer by Gailll at 9:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • When the order of child support was entered, then shouldn't it somewhere say on it the age of the child? If so, then you should be able to take that order back with you to show that it's been x number of yrs, the child is now x yrs old. Also, I think a lawyer should be able to get proof of this for you. You could also probably wait for a couple of months past when she's turning 18 and then do a background check on him - perfectly legal - that will show outstanding child support orders, etc.

    But I still strongly suggest that you have a lawyer do this for you, to make sure it's all admissible.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Actually, in most states, child supports stop at 18 or when they finish high school. Depends on your state. You might want to google your state and child support law.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Yea I would also call a lawyer. CS stops at 18 unless the child is still in school. If the child goes to collage then the parents paying the CS has to pay till the child is 21, as long as the child is in school. If the child is 18 and still in high school it will stop once they have graduated, if they don't go to collage. Well that is what it is here in florida. i could be different for different states.

    Answer by Angela_1974 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • well if his child is going to college than child support may continue until age 21. I think it's horrible that your cicrling like a vulture awaiting this kids 18th birthday so you can obtain more money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.