ERF carseats?

Ok so I must be in my own little bubble because I have never heard of an ERF carseat until I saw it on here. What is exactly is the difference between that and a regular carseat? Is there a specific brand i should be looking for? Because when I looked at carseats on babies r us, I did not see anything specifically saying it was an ERF carseat. Also, are they rediciously expensive? I don't like the carseat my little man has now, but am on a VERY tight budget because my husband hasnt had a pay check in almost a month ( sells cars, only gets commission and its been super slow), so we're living off my itty bitty paycheck for the time being, but i do want to make sure that I take all safety precautions with my son. Sorry for all the questions lol, like I said I guess i've been living in a bubble!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• "ERF" means to extend the amount of time you rear face your child. It's not a type of car seat. If you want to do this, just find a car seat that has a very high weight limit/height limit for rear facing and then keep your child that way as long as he fits. Most convertable car seats are rear facing up to 35 lbs now a days so you may already have one that allows for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• ERF is extended rear facing. They are car seats that are larger and can be used rear facing longer. Rear facing has been shown to be safer in studies. Regular rear facing car seats can be used until the baby gets to 18-20 pounds (read on car seat), an ERF car seat can be used up to 35 pounds.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Watch this video. It take until about the middle to get to the good part.

www.childrestraintsafety.com/rear-facing.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• The Evenflo Titan is around $80
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Hi, ERFers dont have "special carseats" ALL convertable carseats in the US rear face to ATLEAST 30LBS. A convertable seat is the seat that you buy inbetween the baby carrier and a booster seat, it rear faces and then can forward face. Steer clear of 3n1's they are crap. The Cosco Scenera is $50 at Walmart and will rear face to 35lbs- which makes it a good extended rear facing seat. Most people think you have to shell out alot of money to extend rear facing and you dont... its just simply a matter of not turning around your convertable carseat... If you want to get a GOOD top of the line carseat, then that would be a Britax... but you dont have to have that to extend rear facing... the $50 Scenera works... Graco comfort sport is $60 evenflo titan is $80 lots of cheap seats that will get the job done. Your child is safer rear facing in "cheaper" seat than forward facing in even the best of seats....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• No, you are not alone on this. I had never heard of it either. I know its safer, but my son had long legs, and I wonder how uncomfortable that would be for a long car-ride for the next LO? At one, when we turned him, he was in the 95th percentile for hight and was already bunching up his legs.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• What is your child's age, weight, height, and your budget?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• erf arent special carseats most convertible carseats nopw rear face up to 35 lbs. they range form cheap to expensive. i ahve the cosco scenera for dd it was $45 and the titan evenflo for ds it was $100 both rf up tp 35lbs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• The thing to look for is buying a car seat and intending to rear face longer with it. So, you might choose a seat that has a higher rear facing weight limit AND height limit. The Britax Roundabout is terrible for extended rear facing (trust me, I know). It's a smaller seat, and their heads are supposed to be one inch below the top of the shell. So you want a seat with a tall shell. Cosco Scenara is about $60 now (it went up), and it's okay to get you through, depending on how tall your lo is.

If you just don't like the seat, I'd wait until a good seat was in you budget, because you can use it longer.

And I just get so tired of the "legs might be uncomfortable" crap. Dude. You're sitting tied to a freaking seat. It's not a walk in the park. Dangling legs, putting pressure on the backs of their thighs isn't comfortable, either. Choose what's safest. Odds are, your kid sits with his legs crossed a lot anyway.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• The law in most states is 20 pounds and one year. ERF parents extend rear facing beyond that benchmark, so any carseat that can be used rear facing for a child weighing more than 20 pounds could be an ERF seat. The manufacturer won't label it ERF - a child could easily be 30 pounds and 11 months, so the law demands rear facing, not the choice to ERF.

Depending how long you want to rear face, the better deal, I would say, is the car seat that can be kept in the rear facing position at the highest weight, which is likely 35 pounds. As someone mentioned earlier, you can get them for a very reasonable price. I've even seen nice seats that allow for rear facing up to 35 pounds at Costco for $80 - $120.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009