Who doesn't want health care reform?

Oct. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Months of Republican attacks on President Barack Obama’s health-care proposals appear to have hurt the party, according to a Quinnipiac University poll.
The survey found 64 percent of voters disapproving of the way Republicans in Congress are doing their jobs, with 25 percent approving. Also, 53 percent had an unfavorable opinion of the party in general, while 25 percent rated it favorably.
The performance of Democratic lawmakers was disapproved of by 56 percent, with 33 expressing approval. For the party in general, 46 percent expressed disapproval, 38 percent approval.
Asked who they trusted to do a better job on the health- care issue, 47 percent said Obama, 31 percent said the Republicans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20091008/pl_bloomberg/aw2pami0gqru

His supporters (the voting majority) want it and so do many others. (Yes, I know *certain CM members* they didn't ask you)

PsWifey

Asked by PsWifey at 9:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How could you? How could you all possibly not care? We're talking about PEOPLE here. We're not talking about the President that you may not like, or the majority party in congress for whom you may or may not hold a candle. We're talking about PEOPLE. 122 Americans DIED or will DIE today - because they don't have insurance. Those 122 people CAN'T AFFORD TO LIVE. They can't afford to LIVE. You sit here and you say, Oh, I've got insurance, screw those that didn't make the right decisions. Didn't make the right choice? Oh, so they CHOSE to get laid off and lose their insurance? And now, they have to CHOSE whether to pay over $500 per month (which they definately DON'T have) for insurance premiums or feed their CHILDREN?
    People who CHOSE for their child to get lymphoma or cancer. People, who while they have "great" insurance, still have to sell their homes and other worldly posessions because even WITH insurance (con't
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If it's going to cost me more, then no...I already pay 225 a month for my DD and I. I work for a living, have made sacrifices to earn what I do and do not want to pay for those who by bad choices, cannot afford it. I was raised to be self-supporting and I expect others to do the same.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I have said it before and I will say it again, the devil is in the details. I think there is a resounding agreement that there needs to be reform in Health care. We just disagree on how to go about that reform and what it should look like when it's all said and done.

In my opinion, Public Option would do more harm than good and is unsustainable. The dems want to put a 'trigger' in the bill so that public option goes into effect if certain criteria aren't met. Who is in charge of determining if criteria has been met and are those terms set in stone? It's just another way for them to be sneaky and getting what they have been after the whole time. Control. The fact that so many would put their health into the hands of a government that can't even find someone that hasn't cheated on their taxes - to RUN the IRS just solidifies my opinion that citizens aren't getting smarter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I could easily find a poll that disputed yours but I won't bother because it obviously wouldn't matter coming from a conservative.
    The fact is REpublicans and conservatives don't want Obama and the congress wasting our money any more. Some healthcare changes are needed and we can do it a lot less expensively that the dems want it. The FACT is Dems want the power, not to help people. The bill they will vote on, on Tuesday will still leave 25 million people uncovered. Whats the point of spending a trillion dollars(yes it will be closer to a trillion when they are done) to cover everyone if you aren't going to cover everyone?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think everyone wants health care reform. The problem is we don't want the government to be the ones making the rules and regulations. The government has to make general guidelines for everybody and it is a fact that people and families each have unique circumstances and needs. There is no way that government can make a "one-size-fits-all" health care bill that won't adversly affect millions of citizens. Any time the government gets involved in something the situation goes from bad to worse as things come up and they begin to micro-manage.
    I know they say you can keep your insurance if you have some, you can choose your own doctor, and healthcare decisions will be between you and your doctor, but then they start adding in *you have to do this and you can't do that* and it makes it impossible to choose freely. If the government has to regulate something they sould start with the insurance companies, not the American people
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think they left out the most important determinative factor in reporting their poll - where do their respondents get their information?

For instance, according to women who grew up there, a preponderance of people in totalitarian Arab cultures believed that Jews use the blood of Arab children as an ingredient in their cookies.

So their understanding of reality is at a WIDE variance from the truth, and their opinions will be commensurately skewed.

"Who doesn't want health care reform?" is, after all, a COMPLETELY SEPARATE question from "Do you embrace the amazing gov't power-grab of these front-running reform proposals?"

The H.R. 3200 bill was an micro-managing gov't invasion of Iron Curtain proportions. The fact that its very character would necessarily cause widespread deterioration of health care made it all the more obvious that power & control were its ONLY goals.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think Pagan Mama sums it up pretty well. We really don't need more byzantine rules and oversight committees.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• they can't afford the deductible or the mounting bills that the insurance DIDN'T cover?? You know, maybe the cancer was deemed pre-existing and the insurance won't cover anything?
    Would you let your child die??

No, those people didn't CHOOSE to not have insurance. How dare you all just toss those people aside, as if they don't matter.

Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I want real health care reform. Tort reform, allowing people to buy across state lines, incentives to employers that provide affordable plans, more regulations on the insurance industry that help consumers, don't penalize those who do make a good living and have great coverage. I could even support a public option if companies were fined 20k for every employee they drop or won't add to their health plans each year. The fine would go directly to the fund that pays for the public option. With the low fine proposed there is no incentive to keep what they have or improve on what they have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I seriously think all polls are a joke. I've never been polled, and neither has anyone I know. I agree that I disapprove of the way pubs are handling this. There is a kind of masochistic glee whenever people question the current admin. It makes them look well, pathetic.
    Hr3200 sucks. I'm waiting to see the language behind the newest plan.

And oh yeah, for the billionth time, everyone wants reform.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2009