Does online tutoring actually help? Or should I just save my money?

I want to enroll my 1st grader into a program that will help him learn to read. That is the main goal, for now, anyways. Does anyone know of such a program? Has anyone had good/bad experiences with online tutoring? I really appreciate any and all feedback.

tatum-n-benny

Asked by tatum-n-benny at 9:55 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i go to high school on line at continetal academy go to the web site and look and see if u like it its only 40 dollars to start it maybe cheapier for the younger and u can make payments u dont like it dont pay any more and cancel
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Thanks. I went to the website and it appears to be for kids 14+. I am needing some place that my 6 year old son can attend.
    tatum-n-benny

Answer by tatum-n-benny at 10:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• is it really 14 plus sorry they must have changed i can look into it for u it is hard to find ligit ones also.... ill look around or as a counsler k
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Thank you.
    tatum-n-benny

Answer by tatum-n-benny at 10:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You should be able to teach your son to read if he doesn't have any kind of problems like dyslexia. If he goes to school and is having trouble you should be able to have him evaluated for problems. If you homeschool you can wait awhile and see if he figures out how to read on his own.

I homeschooled and all 3 of my children figured it out on their own. When reading happens naturally kids can go from reading very little (names, signs, a few words) to reading on a teen or adult level very quickly.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He does know how to read. Just not well. And I grew up around a ton of people who can barely spell their names. I just want him to have a strong foundation in reading. He does pick it up fairly quickly, and his teacher hasnt told me that he needs help. I just want to do everything for him that I possibly can. Its probably not absolutely necessary for him to have tutoring, I just want him to be able to read well.

I thought about trying something at home, but I am very impatient and I dont want to make him hate reading. If anyone has good ideas on how I might be able to help him at home, without both of us going crazy, I would love to hear your ideas!!
    tatum-n-benny

Answer by tatum-n-benny at 10:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He is only in first grade. Don't worry now. When he is around 12 is the time to encourage reading if he isn't doing it then. That's the age many kids like to start reading series books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

If he can't read very fast at that age or older you may be able to find a computer program or course that teaches faster reading. When you can read fast it is much more fun. When I was a senior in high school I was able to take speed reading and it worked!

For college vocabulary is very important. You might try finding something on the computer that has a word for the day for kids. You can use new words that sound neat. Words like eclectic. One of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles says that in the movies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'd do a one on one in person tutoring vs the online.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I th ink you should try this site... http://www.starfall.com/
    it is great tool for halping them learn to read but the best way is to have them read to you daily, you can even read a book togther befor bed you read one page they read the other.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2009