Does anyone use Essential Oils in their homemade laundry detergent??

I make my own detergent. I would like to add a fragrence to it. It was suggested I use essential oils. What scent would work best?

Kathryn620

Asked by Kathryn620 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• an example of plain unscented milled soap would be Ivory. i don't use it, it gives me a rash for some reason. but you can also use just about any bar soap.
    Recipe is as follows

1 Cup Washing Soda
    1 Cup Borax
    1 Bar Soap, or 2 cups liquid soap (contains sulfites though, which is why i don't use it) I also like to use goats milk soap, you don't need any softener if you use it.
    15-25 drops of essential oil

cut soap up into tiny pieces and melt in a pot water on the stove. mix washing soda & borax in 3 gallon bucket w/ lid. fill 1/2 way with HOT water and completely dissolve. add melted soap and stir, add enough water to make 3 gallons. let cool, stirring multiple times (it will congeal). use 1 cup per wash. to make concentrate, use only 1 gallon water total.

this recipe costs about 2-3 cents per load for ingredients, depending on the cost of living in your area of the country.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Lavender, vanilla, tea tree
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I use a lavender sandlewood one and it smells awesome!! Just make sure to use a quality oil and not the cheapy stuff
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• And keep in mind that Fragrance Oil is not the same as Essential Oil
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• lavender & sage. Lime & verbena. Orange & Clove (great around the holidays).

i don't like the smell of teatree (though i do use it medicinally). i found that sandalwood left a funky aroma (personal preferences).

what do you use in your detergent?

i've tried several. finally found that i liked the borax, washing soda & plain milled soap best. leaves things squeaky clean without residue! also congeals into a nice gel thats not as messy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• what do you use in your detergent?

This is what I use. I also just found a recipe for hard water so I might give that a try next time I make some.

Kathryn620

Answer by Kathryn620 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

I was going to order essential oil. Is that what I want??

Kathryn620

Answer by Kathryn620 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• was going to order essential oil. Is that what I want

Yes
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Where do you find plain milled soap? Does that contain lye?
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Where do you all find your ingredients? I have never seen washing soda or borax sold... I am excited about making some! Are you in a CM group that does this? How cool!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009