Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

about inducing

Has anyone suggested to their doctor that they be induced after the due date had come and gone or did you wait until the baby came naturally?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (10)
  • i was induced after due date and i had some problems they broke my water and it was to early and ended up sufficating my baby and then went back and inserted water back in me and drounded him when he came out he was blue and not breathing for like 3 to 4 a first time mom so dont know much but what i have went threw

    Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I would have waited as the due date can be off by 2 weeks or so...unfortunately, I didn't get the chance...the doc was worried about her size so I was induced at 38 weeks...will never do it again...I don't think she was done cooking and she wasn't that big anyway

    Answer by Jademom07 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I had mine induced. I never wanted to have a huge baby and you are still having it naturally, induction just speeds up the process. I had a slow petocin drip in my IV.

    Answer by Shyma at 10:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • OP
    the reason i ask is because i am due on monday and last friday at 3 weeks my doctor seemed surprised that i haven't gone into labor yet. she said that i am definately ready and that the baby is full term and weighs (from her estimate) a little more than 7 lbs and is still growing. that was last friday and now i see her tomorrow and still now labor so i was wondering if i should ask about induction after monday if nothing happens yet. i am a new mom too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • First-time moms average 41 weeks, 1 day of pregnancy, just fyi.

    So the doctor said "full-term" and "baby weighs" but obviously baby and body aren't ready for birth yet (or you would have delivered). So baby isn't ready, regardless of doctors opinion (not fact, can't tell what baby is until baby is outside).

    There is no reason to force baby and add unnecessary risks. Elective induction is harsh~ more intense for baby (and mom, usually) than natural labor.
    Babies come when ready~ have patience and know baby WILL be here soon.

    Answer by doulala at 10:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • It's best to wait until the baby comes on it's own. It's fine for a baby to be 2 weeks late. Induced labors are much more difficult and there are risks of complications.

    Doctors can be off on due dates and weight estimates. Don't worry about the baby's weight.

    Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I may have to be induced because of medical problems. But I would ask if your doctor is planning on doing a ultrasound first to make sure your daughter/son isn't small.

    Answer by Ashlee3486 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I would never induce just because i hit my due date, normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks, 40 is just the middle of that, due dates are estimations anyway. Babies come when they are ready, i see no reason to try and force them out just because i hit a certain date.
    My sister had her second at 42 weeks and 5 days, she didn't induce, the baby came when he was ready.
    Inductions should only be used for true medical reasons, only then do the benefits outweigh the risks.

    Answer by Cynthje at 11:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • i let my son come naturally and i highly recommend it. :) there is no way to tell for sure that baby is ready, and natural labor is less likely to have complications (including those that lead to c-section)

    my son was born at 41 weeks, which is quite normal :)

    Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I'ma try this again without typos. I suggest you read up on elective inductions.

    You increase your chances of c-section dramatically by an elective induction prior to dilation. You also do realize if you get a ripening agent or pitocin - which carry their own risks -- you'll probably be laying a lot (labor is more painful lying), given an IV (more swelling post-birth and chances of water overload in you/baby), and they could also end up doing other things leading to a c-section. Like, breaking your water and then you get an infection and fail to progress because you're uncomfortable/weren't ready!

    Things look much more positive if you augment past 4 cm or so, but, then what is the point? Obviously your body is doing what it should, and going to the hospital getting hooked up to machines is only going to -hinder- the process by making you uncomfortable or possibly getting an infection.

    Best bet: Wait! You're fine!

    Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.