Does anyone think its safe to give your child the swine flu shot? They have had no reserch or studies on it yet so we dont know the side effects it will give our children !

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I believe it is safe, but there is no way to know for sure.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You need to think about the risk from the vaccine and the risk your child has of getting swine flu. The child's risk depends on age, other medical conditions, if the child goes to day care, if the child goes to school, if the child's parents work somewhere they could be exposed, ect.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I have heard that the swine flu vaccine from the 1970's can cause nervous system problems. I'm not sure what they are using but it is something to research before getting the shot.
    mrs_mac3

Answer by mrs_mac3 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It's not like it is a new vaccine that they are developing. It's just like any other flu shot - which has been around for a long time - it's just for a specific strain of flu. People who get flu shots, get a new one each year based on the strain of the flu likely to be circulating in the current year. The H1N1 flu shot is just another flu shot for another strain of flu.

If it were a whole new vaccine that didn't have prior studies for an illness that did not have a preventative shot in the past it would be more scary. There is nothing to fear about the H1N1 shot unless you or your child has an allergy to eggs.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Just last night I heard pregnant people weren't supposed to get it. Lucky me if that's true! but I heard so many bad things about it that I wouldn't give it to my child until they did research on it.
    heatherb8924

Answer by heatherb8924 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• We won't be getting any flu shots. Did you know that the "regular" flu shot is new every couple of years because to accomodate for mutations in the virus?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My children don't get any vaccines, so for sure, we're not getting this one. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I have heard that the swine flu vaccine from the 1970's can cause nervous system problems.

There's a suspected link between vaccinations in 1976 and a rare disorder GBS.   Scientists don't understand exactly what causes GBS but they do know this - about 2/3 of people who develop GBS symptoms do so several days or weeks after they have been sick with a diarrheal or respiratory illness.  Which means you are much more likely to experience GBS as a side effect from getting the flu than from the vaccination.  Here's more information about it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My 28 month old daughter received the seasonal shot last week and will receive the H1N1 when I can find it in our area. I've done my research and I feel that it is a safe vaccine.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• No vaccines here! My kids will not be shot up with toxins!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 10, 2009