water overload?

how much water is TOO much water? i'm so freakin thirsty ALL THE TIME. I've heard that you can drink too much but wasn't sure if it has to be like a ridiculous amount. Its 10am and I've already had a whole gallon of water today.

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 10:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That is too much water already...excess thirst when pregnant is attributed to Gestational Diabetes...I'd call your doc. Yes you can OD on water...it flushes too much of the nutrients out of your body and thins your blood.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• you should start feeling sick when you have reached your limit. Maybe you should see the doctor to much thirts is a sign of greater problems.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 10:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• past experence i drank 3 gallons of water and i was litteraly pissing and shitting water i know tmi but i think at 5 gallons u can die from it to much is bad for u...try gatoraid
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• symptom of high blood sugar. get checked immediately.

i had GD with the last one, and thats how i felt. that was the only sign that my blood sugar was so high. (not going to admit how high)

you should be drinking about 3/4-1 gallon a day (or, at least, i do) yes, that is excessive if its only 10 am! seriously, not to be a mother hen, but i would go get my sugar checked asap.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i have my first glucose test this afternoon, so hopefully it gets figured out. thanks for the advice ladies =)
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 10:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• good luck! i will warn you, that the glucose test is not fun- try your hardest not to get sick. if you do, they will make you start over!

think happy, positive thoughts. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I had water intoxication. I told the doctor I was drinking like 2 gallons a day or more and he didn't listen. One night I tried to drink in my sleep and poured water all over myself.

I had pulmonary emboli and was hospitalized. When my blood tests came back my electrolytes were all off because I had been drinking so much water. They wouldn't give me water and I had to drink juice. I hated drinking all those calories!

I don't know what made me so thirsty for a couple of months. I got over it after drinking juice for a couple of weeks. My blood sugar was fine.

There is no specific amount that is too much. It depends on body size, activity, how fast you drink, and other factors.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009