Switching off of Alementum...

Hey all! I have a baby who will be 7 months here very soon. We decided to put him on formula at 2wks old b/c breast feeding wasn't working out for me. We tried regular formula, but that made him super, super, super fussy. Same thing happened with my daughter when she was a newborn. My daughter had a milk protein intolerance that she grew out of by 8 months of age.

So...we started my son out on the special formula that we had my daughter on (Gentlease). Didn't agree with his tummy. So his doctor suggested Alementum. Instantly he was better. At his 6 month check, his doctor said we could try him on regular formula, but we had to ease him into it.

My question for you all is...should I try out Similac Advance with Early Shield or Enfamil Premium Lipil OR do I just try the regular Similac or regular Enfamil? Any suggestions are welcome. Please do not leave me angry "Why didn't you breastfeed" messages. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son cannot have either milk or soy, so we've been on a similar formula. I would ask your doctor if they recommend a formula based on your baby's symptoms - he may do better on a gentler formula (Similac sensitive or the Enfamil Gentlese). And yes! Add it slowly (like an ounce or two at a time, over a period of 3 days or so) to make sure there isn't a reaction. Good luck! Message me if you like.
    PS - happy to hear your daughter grew out of the allergy!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• While my supply (I breastfeed) was building up, I supplemented with Similac Advance Early Shield. It has probiotics for digestive health, and also is stated to "try and be more like breastmilk" so that is the one I chose. GL mama!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009