Dating son's best friends dad ?

My son has had the same best friend since the 4th grade. ( William)They are now both 19. Throughout those years I had never met Williams father. This year I met him at a party. I was instantly attracted to him, but I did not go with it. Months later I ran into him and things started from there. I love William Jr. very much, he is like a son to me. I am very afraid that he will be hurt by the fact I am dating his father. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place ! Please help !

lajoie4ever

Asked by lajoie4ever at 10:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• wow well to be fair the kids were together first lol but how does ur son and william feel about it? then go from there
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• At 19 I don't think he'll have a problem with it. I'd say just sit them down and talk to them about it ( you, your son, his friend, and his dad.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I don't know ! I'm scared ! William Jr has confided in me before about issues with his dad, over a 10 year period. His parents got divorced about 6 years ago. And lets not forget his mother ! She is re-married now, but it still would feel so awkward.
    lajoie4ever

Answer by lajoie4ever at 10:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• This is really hard, part of me wants to say....if you've met someone special go for it!! The other part, the part that has an 18 year old son, 20 year old son, and 27 year old son says I would never take a chance on hurting their friendships with childhood friends....or any friends. And, I would never take a chance on hurting the boys that I think of as my own because they grew up with my boys.

I think you really have to weigh the issues here. Unless you're sure this guy is going to be your partner for life, it may not be worth risking your son's friendship, and William Jr.'s feelings. Even if they're okay with you dating, if it doesn't work out, it could make things uncomfortable at a minimum and ruin relationships at the worst.

Good luck! Sorry you have to make such a tough decision.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• thank you ohwrite.. and I do love William Jr as my own.. He looks identical to his father, which also kinda creeps me out.. I'm really digging the daddy.. But as a forever man ? I don't know. Our sons have done every sport together, are planning on joining the military together, I know I will be running into him probably for a very long time.
    lajoie4ever

Answer by lajoie4ever at 10:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i say everyone sit down and just talk about it. ask the boys how they would feel and go from there. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If you love William Jr. like your own maybe you need to sit him down and talk to him about it, he might not have a problem with it. And if you all are that close, he might like to see that his dad and you are happy with each other. If the boys have been friends that long they probably feel like brothers already!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I"m so glad I came here !!! Keep em'coming.. !!!
    lajoie4ever

Answer by lajoie4ever at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• awwwwwwww thats cute. i think it should be fine!! they might actually think its a cool thing. what better then to have your best friend be your new stepbrother??
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

Answer by admckenzie at 11:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2009