how do i get him to stop saying NO?

it seems like every 5 seconds hes saying "no". i dont like it. i put him in time out for throwing a temper but i dont think time out would work for "no". he says it soo much. and he knows what it means. hes 2 and i need to know how to get him to stop saying it...

ps daddy and i dont say the word very much, only when we need to. we will say "dont do that, aiden will get hurt" or something like that.

wisteriastars

Asked by wisteriastars at 10:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's normal for a toddler to try & fight for their independance. it's just a phase. he'll grow out of it & eventually move on to saying a diff word all the time...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 10:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He had to learn it somewhere. Children learn what they live. Not bashing just saying. It's possible he just likes making the sounds of the word or how his face feels when he says it. (say it quietly and see how interesting the face moves when you say it). Just make a game out of it or a song. It modifies the behavior into something acceptable.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. ~C.G. Jung, Integration of the Personality, 1939

Diogenes struck the father when the son swore. ~Robert Burton, "Anatomy of Melancholy," Democritus to the Reader, 1621
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• No is a popular word with toddlers. They all hit a no phase - and it doesn't have to be a word they hear often to be one their fall in love with. Toddlers are realizing they have a say and can impact their own little world. They like to test those boundaries. "No" is empowering!

Give him choices where no isn't an option without putting him in complete control. For ex, when DD was in that phase I'd say "Meg it's time to put our shoes on. Should I do it or do you want to put them on yourself." If I said "meg, put your shoes on" or "meg, come here so I can put your shoes on." I'd get "No!" and then running away with giggles. When I gave her a choice in HOW we did what I wanted her to do, she'd make the either/or decision and come over to follow-through on what I had asked.

Another thing - tell him when NO isn't working for you. "I'm sorry but no is not an option." Be consistent with it. Follow-through.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Man when you figure it out let me know. My 2 year old is constantly saying that to me. We've done time out, spankings, talking to's...the whole works. It's very frustrating.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm sorry, I got a giggle when I read this. My daughter's first word was 'no' and absolutely looooves it. When she says it (like ldmrmom said, with giggles and a smile), I brush it off because she's saying it just to say it. When watching the your baby can read videos, they were teaching 'yes' and 'no' I kid you not, she shook her head with the no, and nodded her head 'yes' only the first 2 times watching it... then when 'yes' came on... she shook her head 'no' and it's been like that EVER SINCE. She's nearly 2 and hasn't even said 'yes' once!

The only times I punish for 'no' is when she throws a temper tantrum or says it to me defiantly. Otherwise, oh well. I do definitely suggest what ldmrmom suggests with non-yes/no questions and throw in to ask questions where saying 'yes' gets them something good. (Hasn't completely worked with my dd yet, she just stays quiet instead of answering.) Don't forget to praise the good!
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• *cont* Praising good helps soooo much with curbing no's. When your child sees the happy momma for doing what he's told, a connection is made. Like today, what I did, my daughter didn't throw a tantrum when we were leaving the library (she reeeeeally loves books and hates leaving the library). I got down to her level with a large smile and said, "You made momma very happy by not screaming when we were leaving, thank you so much! That was so good, you did a really good job!" then gave her a kiss.

Otherwise, what you can do, make a game out of any random no's which are said. He says no, you say 'nose', 'note', 'nor', 'I know ___' (point to your head and fill in the blank, like, 'I know how to jump!' then jump). Or rhyme, no, bow, flow, toe, row, low, snow, mow, blow, foe, crow... you get the idea.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2009