My 12m old SCREAMS

My 12m old SCREAMS - like ear piercing - when he doesn't like something... i.e. doesn't want to be in the carseat, can't get a toy to go the way he wants it to, when I don't pick him up... Will he outgrow this?! I've tried telling him "no screaming!" It HURTS my ears... suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get his ears tested. He may not realize he's as loud as he is. My grandson did that. I told my dd to get his hearing tested and sure enough he had a hearing problem. It was fixed and he stopped all that screaming.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If it's not the ears... I find doing the Ni Hao Ki-Lan Hula duck dance works pretty darn well with my daughter. I get down behind her, lean her back to my chest, put my arms around her, then take her hands and sway them to one side, then to the other side while saying "side to side" very calmly until she calms down... then I show her how to do what she's trying to do or explain why we need to do what she's upset about. She's almost 2 now and if she starts acting up, I just say 'calm down... side to side' and she'll say "side to side" and calms down.

I wish you luck!
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2009