Do you think I was wrong for smacking a stranger?

Ok, I was shopping at our local supermarket with my 8 month old ds in the cart(with a cart cover), when a woman down the aisle starts hacking. I tried to keep my distance to allow the cloud of germs to settle. I turned to pick up a box of granola bars, and I heard a noise behind me. When I turned around, that woman was touching my son's face! I kinda smacked her hand and said "please don't touch my baby!"

My bff says I was wrong, and I should not have touched the woman. She says it is assault. Now I didn't slug the woman, I smacked her had away. I say she was assaulting my baby. What do you think?

jdanielle82

Asked by jdanielle82 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously! I need to put a sign on my kid that says don't touch?! Maybe I should put a sign on my car that says "don't crash into me" and one on my house that says "don't burn me down

Exactly- you should be able to go into public without worrying that someone is going to put their hands on you or your child. You should NOT have to put a sign on your child that says DO NOT TOUCH. Why should someone have the right to touch your child? Thats like saying that you should wear a sign that says do not touch me- so people don't put their hands on you.
    I don't know if the smack would be considered assault or not- but if it is, then she assaulted your baby first by putting her hands on your child- so you reacted in self defence!
    Anonymous

• well it's just a reaction to smack someone's hand if they're touching you or your baby, i would have done the same thing, especially if she was coughing and all that, then touching my baby, she was being rude, you just don't go up and start touching other people's kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• LMAO!! I'd have done the same thing. She should not have touched your child without your consent. Especially after filling the isle with her germs....lol
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• YOU were protecting your baby! YOUR a parent , we go FAR lengths to protect them , as did you. I think it was fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm not sure legally, but, you wouldn't walk up to an adult in the grocery store and touch them, so people shouldn't walk up to babies and touch them either.....especially someone that was just coughing up a lung.

You probably SHOULDN'T have smacked her hand, but as a mother I can certainly understand why at that moment in time you were possessed to. At the same time, she shouldn't have touched your child.

I've seen infant carriers with a note hanging on the handle "Please don't touch the baby". Maybe you should consider one of those.
    Anonymous

• its a reaction! ... and u were protecting ... fine to me lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think you were 100% right ! It probably took restraint to not smack her somewhere else ! In this day in age, the last thing we need is a stranger hacking over babies ! or rubbing their face. Geez, you think she would have known better. when I see babies in the store I talk to them ,get a smile, but am careful to keep my distance !
    lajoie4ever

Answer by lajoie4ever at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I would have gone nuts on that woman! I think you showed amazing restraint. I would have screamed that she was trying to kidnap my baby and upset the whole store. Rule #1: don't mess with momma.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If I had time to think, I probably would have kept my hands to myself, but it was a gut reaction! WHY would you walk up and touch a baby's face?! Especially when you are sick?
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Were the police called? A smack is different than a slap. If you're called to court get a lawyer immediately so you can get the store's security camera that day to show what actually happened.

I don't know that I would have smacked her but I sure would have spoken very harshly to her!!!!

Hope things go well for you and hope baby doesn't get sick from anything from anyone.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2009