tooth extraction stories pleeeease ;)

I went to the dentist today, first time in like 10 years (horrible I know), and found out my bottom wisdom tooth is practically decayed and getting infected and needs to be removed asap. Well I've never had any type of dental work like this done so I'm kinda a big baby when it comes to stuff like this. First off, he doesn't have to do any cutting, since it's already grown in, just pulling it out and since I'm pregnant he's just going to numb it locally. Does the process of the local anesthesia hurt? The extraction itself? What about afterwards? Apparently I can drive myself to and from the clinic so this must not be a very big deal at all, plus he said it would take 30 min tops. Any advice or stories of your own would be appreciated!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Health

• My kids have had teeth pulled for different reasons and none of them ever hurt afterwards. You might feel sore or a bit swollen but not too much more. Take a cd player with you to listlen to your fav book or music. Feel better mommy!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• well they put shots around the tooth in your gum to numb it, not the best feeling in the world, but it's better than having a rotten tooth in there, afterwards isn't too bad, you'll have to keep gauze in your mouth on the site until the bleeding stops and you can't eat hard stuff until it heals, they'll probally give you a prescription for pain meds that are safe while pregnant (i'm sure) they should give you an after care handout to take home GL!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It didn't really hurt. I didn't feel anything while being injected into my cheeck (I guess less nerves there). The novacaine shot into my gums (infront of my mouth) just felt like pricks (very tolerable). The only painful injection was the novacaine injection in the back of my mouth. I had to hold on to the railings to tolerate. Once that was finished, the dentist and I had a conversation until the novacain took effect.

In my opinion, it's all really psychological. The dentist will tell you to look up to not notice the needle. Just looking at the needle is the scary part. I had two impacted wisdom teeth extracted (soft tissue extraction) while awake. It only took twenty minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Avoid corn for a few days, probably peas too, they fall in the hole and hurt. Basically they numb you down, then take a pair of what look like big padded pliers and pull it out. It sounds a lot worse than it is. I had four pulled and the only one that I even noticed was a baby tooth where they were having trouble hitting the nerve with the Novocaine. If you feel it hurting tell them and they will stop and give you another shot of Novocaine into a different part of the nerve. For me it looked worse than it felt and by far the worst part was getting the Novocaine at the beginning.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I had to have a tooth extracted because my jaw is too small and that is in addition to have 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed. I'm not gonna lie the wisdom teeth hurt like hell, but that is because I had to be cut open have the teeth broken and extracted... ANYWAY no the one I was awake for didn't hurt at all. Just really weird because there is an insane amount of pressure used to get the tooth out. The shot in the roof of my mouth was the worst but you may not need that if the tooth is on the bottom. When you get home just don't use straws for a couple days because that can cause dry socket and that will leave you in terrible pain for weeks. Otherwise it's nothing, I promise.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I just had a tooth extracted and was very nervous and anxious as well. The initial injection may suprise you as it goes right next to a major nerve. I got an electric shock feeling that went all the way up my tongue. But then everything was numb and you wont feel anymore of the injections. The worst part of the extractioin is the pressure you feel on your jaw...(I have TMJD so this was very ichy!!) The tooth broke and the noise scared me but there was not pain. The whole process once I was numbed took not even five minutes. The oral surgeon was awesome thank god! It will hurt afterwards for several days and you need to be careful not to get dry socket. Bust out your blender and make yummy smoothies and blended soups as this will be the easiest way to "eat". Good luck, you will survive!
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 12:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• get meds asap. That pain was almost as bad as going trough labor. It hurts......................
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I had Oral surgery a few years back and I lived on shakes/ice cream( just don't use straw can cause problems ) for about 2 days then I was back to my normal eating habits, sleep when you can and forget about using ice packs use a frozen bag of Veggies to keep on your face conforms better to help with the pain and swelling. Good Luck
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009