Is it legal- mulitple wives? Sex with your FIL to be?

We have a group of people living in our country from another. They have many wives! If the man asks a woman to marry her. And the FIL to be says no. She has to have sex with him first. Then she can marry his son! However then she may get pregnant with her now father in law's baby.If her DH dies she has to marry her BIL. If he doesn't want her. His family takes their children and she can never see her kids again. This is sad. Can this be legal? They don't follow laws here. Get a way with things! Think every animal is for food. Including cats & dogs too! Is this okay? I mean its their culture. But how can they get away with it? It must be a tough, sad life! I know we can't understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• sounds like a cult....idk if it is legal or not but another way to "mock" God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Oh wow. I doubt that multiple marriage's would be legally acknowledged but in their religion or culture it may be different. I don't understand how some of these religions come up with the "rules" that they do. Why wouldn't every FIL say no to a marriage proposal just to get a taste of his new future DIL? Sounds pretty wacky to me.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Regarding the FIL - if she wants to sleep with him, there's no law stating she can't. Nobody's forcing her, either.

The marriage(s) - only one marriage is LEGAL, the rest would be considered "spiritual" & not recognized by the state of the US. Kind of like the Mormon families do it, I suppose.

The children - no, nobody can take a woman's child away unless she just lets it happen. If she doesn't want to fight for her children... that's on her. Pathetic, yes... but true.

Eating dogs & cats - definately illegal & should be prosecuted for it. If you see this happening, get evidence & turn them in.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Laura- Not sure on the dogs and cats thing, I think they have to be specifically raised as food animals. There are some weird rules about animals raised for food, so it probably is legal if they do it right. If they are picking them up off the street, or going to the pet shop definitely not.
    I guess my question to the OP is what business is it of yours? Unless one of the women is trying to get out, or is trying to get her kids back. People can live how they want to live. Yes polygamy is illegal, but there is also a lot of rules about cultural differences so if they are willing to put up with it, who cares?
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2009