Why is it that people w/ "needs" children call them "special" instead of special needs or needs kids? My child is just as special are yours so why call your kid that and mine are just called 'children' ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• eye rolling

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I've always preferred describing it as "kids with quirks", since all kids have quirks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i call them all children -- if they have 'needs' i say child and 'needs' child...bc theyre not as special as any other ... hell i should say this is my 'special normal child' from now on lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Having kids with special needs is so hard that what someone calls them is the least of it.

Of course all kids are special.

I call my son severely disabled, since that is what he is. Perhaps this is more acceptable to you.

If others want to call their kids special, it doesn't bother me at all.

Just be glad your kid doesn't have special needs and go on with your life, this is not worth the energy thinking about..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• it doesnt bother me , i just dont get why kids like that are considered special and normal ones arent?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• "special" is used as a slang term for children with mental/physical/psycological disabilites...There is more than one definition to the word. so all kids are special in one way or another
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• To a degree I think you're right feeling that way. But it's all about what doctors, society and educators consider norm and not. Outside the norm of child development and outside of normal medical development and learning slower than schools' average kids means the child is special education. Two years left of public education and then no more labels for my kid. Then he will be judged freely on himself not on what he can not do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I agree with anon 11:48. Are you really that bothered if someone calls their kid special? Jeez, get over yourself. I'm sure being the parent of a special needs child is difficult and heartwrenching enough without having to worry about "offending" someone like you by using the label that society has given to them. Pathetic.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well it bothered you enough to write a post about.

Once again, just be very thankful you aren't part of that club and put your mind on more important matters.
    Anonymous

• Troll.
    Anonymous